Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding Pug query

Options
  • 09-08-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi ,

I have a 6 month male pug puppy, and i am interested in breeding him. where does one go about this ?

Im in dublin if anyone has any info that would be great

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

eimear10 wrote: »
    Hi ,

I have a 6 month male pug puppy, and i am interested in breeding him. where does one go about this ?

Im in dublin if anyone has any info that would be great

thanks

I suggest you start your own thread with this question instead of taking this one off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Created new thread as it is a separate issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Has he had any health tests done (not just getting a vet to take a quick look and say he's healthy, I mean genetic tests to ensure he's not going to pass anything along to his pups such as luxating patellas) or have you entered him in any shows?

Presuming he's IKC reg then enter him in some shows and see how he fares. If he's successful then research what genetic conditions pugs are prone to and what tests are available so you can test your dog for these. Then presuming your dog is successful in the show ring and these health tests show that he's not going to be passing any genetic issues onto his pups then you can think about breeding him. At the moment he is only a puppy far far too young to breed from. If you are not willing to do any of the above then get him neutered and just enjoy him for the pet he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I think he is too young to be thinking about breeding, make sure to get him into some shows and when he is proven to be of breed standard and has passed all his health tests then ask the question again and lots of people will be very happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Firstly he is too young to start breeding him. He needs to be at least a year or more before you use a male dog for stud.

Secondly, are you going to show him or prove he is of excellent quality, then health tested? If not then you shouldnt be breeding from him.

Does he come from good lines and a good quality kennel?

With males, its usually people who come to you to sue your male and not the other way around. You have to prove your dog is worthy to be bred from by proving he is a good quality dog through showing then if he is, you get him fully tested for breed problems and then and only then if he is healthy should you use him.

Can i ask why you are thinking of breeding a dog thats only 6 months old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

A) Please wait, he's still only a puppy and shouldn't be considered breeding from yet
    B) Please read up on the generic health issues pugs can have, and ensure he is fully tested before even considering breeding. If he has any defects/issues, you don't want to bring sick puppies into the world!

Advertisement