Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisdom teeth.

Options
  • 09-08-2011 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Im going in tomorrow to get my 4 wisdom teeth out and would like some
    sympathy, if anyone can spare an Awwwwwwwww i would be happy!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Awwwwwwwwww

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

no logo eh? maybe you'll go in a pinko and come out a staunch conservative...
    heard it happens after extractions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

had them done yonks ago under GA. You'll be fine.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

We oral surgeons give out free hugs you know... Ask your oral surgeon tomorrow, really he/she won't mind, actually he/she might be offended if you don't ask....:D:D

Good luck,
    OS

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anthonymax

I'll give you an awwww. Getting two of mine out next week, dreading it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Where's the patient gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭jenny4385

Getting 1 out on tuesday that's not down yet under local... Is it really that bad getting them out? Feel suck even thinking bout it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chett

Alan, or anyone else that's gotten four wisdom teeth removed, do you absolutley have to have them removed under general anaesthetic or would they do them under local if I asked them. And if I'm being put under, am I allowed to keep my clothes on. Kind of panicking about the whole thing.

Chett wrote: »
    Alan, or anyone else that's gotten four wisdom teeth removed, do you absolutley have to have them removed under general anaesthetic or would they do them under local if I asked them. And if I'm being put under, am I allowed to keep my clothes on. Kind of panicking about the whole thing.

Really depends on what you are panicking about.....!

Are you nervous about the removal of the teeth or the clothes???

If you are not nervous about the extractions, you may decide to have one side done at a time (ie 2 teeth at a time). You could have all 4 done under LA, I've done it, but it's a bit uncomfortable to numb all corners of the mouth and then work there while aware....

My advice is to have IV sedation to have all 4 removed in one sitting. It's a safe, quick and cheaper method of treatment and you will remember little or nothing of it all. We insist on you keeping your clothes on.....

You could have a GA but it is associated with greater morbidity & mortality. You need to go to hospital for a day. There may be greater cost to you depending on your insurance plan. They also make you wear those unflattering gowns that are open at the back (I've worked in operating theaters for years- no one looks, it's about as unprofessional as it gets...)

Good luck,
    OS

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chett

Thanks for the reply. It's not the extracting of teeth that's putting me off, it's the having to be put to sleep (and possibly never waking up) and the stripping down and putting on a gown that I'm uncomfortable with - OK so I'm a baby :o

My dentist just told me that it's important that I have them removed. He said he could do them but it would be two trips and that the quickest way would be to have all four done in the hospital. I thought that was grand until someone told me that I would be knocked out and that it's a big deal kind of thing. I'd much rather being able to sit in a chair in my jacket and jeans and have them yanked out there. But that IV option doesn't sound too bad either. I've been putting off the call to the hospital but I suppose I'll ring up and find out about it.

• Advertisement

Chett wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. It's not the extracting of teeth that's putting me off, it's the having to be put to sleep (and possibly never waking up) and the stripping down and putting on a gown that I'm uncomfortable with - OK so I'm a baby :o

My dentist just told me that it's important that I have them removed. He said he could do them but it would be two trips and that the quickest way would be to have all four done in the hospital. I thought that was grand until someone told me that I would be knocked out and that it's a big deal kind of thing. I'd much rather being able to sit in a chair in my jacket and jeans and have them yanked out there. But that IV option doesn't sound too bad either. I've been putting off the call to the hospital but I suppose I'll ring up and find out about it.

You're no baby, some patients are nervous of extractions, some of the GA and some of both...

I agree with your view on GA, I think that it is overkill for the vast majority of oral surgery procedures.
    Despite you not being nervous of the extractions, I would definitely advise the IV sedative as all 4 is still a lot to take for the average patient under LA....
    Usually, most private hospital theaters don't provide IV sedation for this procedure as the medical insurers don't pay them or the anaesthetist as much or in some cases at-all. You would need to see your oral surgeon in their clinic for this type of treatment- but that seems to suit you anyway....

OS

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Make sure you ask for enough IV sedation, I had a non dental procedure recently and despite me telling the Doc I'd need more as I'd wake up he said what he was giving me was enough to knock out an Elephant, i woke up during the procedure.. and believe me it was not pleasant!

I should have made a bet :D

Sorry to go off topic, OS i presume they amount of sedation is based primarily on weight and then age factored in and obviously length of procedure time?

i presume they amount of sedation is based primarily on weight and then age factored in and obviously length of procedure time?

There are safe guideline doses based on weight but I find these useless in the real world....
    Those with more fatty tissue don't get such a hit of sedation but it can last longer...
    Nervous patients require more
    Big strong fellas may need far less sedation than a young light girl...

IV sedation is really a skill of balancing dose, degree of sedation and maintaince of co-operation. There are also BP, pulse and pulse oxygen monitoring to ensure safety for the patient....

In my opinion, there is a anti-anxiety dose and then there is the amnesic dose! I tend to give the amnesic dose- no one really needs to remember the procedure...!

OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I am not too sure Helimachopter but I think Oral Surgeon just called you a weak, scared fatty......:);)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

There are safe guideline doses based on weight but I find these useless in the real world....
    Those with more fatty tissue don't get such a hit of sedation but it can last longer...
    Nervous patients require more
    Big strong fellas may need far less sedation than a young light girl...

IV sedation is really a skill of balancing dose, degree of sedation and maintaince of co-operation. There are also BP, pulse and pulse oxygen monitoring to ensure safety for the patient....

In my opinion, there is a anti-anxiety dose and then there is the amnesic dose! I tend to give the amnesic dose- no one really needs to remember the procedure...!

OS
    Cheers OS
    I am not too sure Helimachopter but I think Oral Surgeon just called you a weak, scared fatty......:);)

I'll probably need IV sedation when i go for my liposuction :D

I'll probably need IV sedation when i go for my liposuction :D

That's the easy way out Fatso, go for a run!!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 de Faoite_girl

Hi all,

Sorry for replying to this old thread but my dentist told me today that I'm gonna need all 4 wisdom teeth extracted - all at once by the dentist under LA.

Isn't that a bit too much at once? From what I have read, it seems that most people who have all 4 of them removed had it done under GA...

I am quite worried and scared especially as most of them seem to be stuck horizontally halfway in the gum...

Shame because they don't cause me any pain and never have but the dentist say that plaque is building behind and they make it harder to reach with toothbrush.

Snif...

Thanks

Advertisement