Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What affects your credit rating / credit check

Options
  • 09-08-2011 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi
    Does anyone know if an outstanding / disputed bill with the likes of paypal affect one's credit rating in Ireland?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions (which is more suited to the area of Personal Finance)

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

No, pretty much only the banks can report you to the ICB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

See link below. List of members of ICB. These can list you for default on credit given.

http://www.icb.ie/membership.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

So not paying phone bills, broadband etc. can't effect a credit rating?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,485 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

So not paying phone bills, broadband etc. can't effect a credit rating?

Yes

Mortgage
    Rent
    ESB
    Broadband
    Loan
    Credit Card

All of these payments either not being paid in full, being paid late or not making the minimum payment monthly mean it's bad for your credit rating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

callaway92 wrote: »
    Yes

Mortgage
    Rent
    ESB
    Broadband
    Loan
    Credit Card

All of these payments either not being paid in full, being paid late or not making the minimum payment monthly mean it's bad for your credit rating.

Are you sure about all of those? Delays in payments for mortgages, loans or credit cards will affect your credit rating. But I'd be very surprised if delays in paying rent directly affected someone's credit rating.

What's more likely is that failure to pay utility bills (and such) doesn't directly affect credit ratings. However, if the provider brings the case to court and the judge rules in their favour, then that judgement may affect someone's credit rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,485 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Are you sure about all of those? Delays in payments for mortgages, loans or credit cards will affect your credit rating. But I'd be very surprised if delays in paying rent directly affected someone's credit rating.

What's more likely is that failure to pay utility bills (and such) doesn't directly affect credit ratings. However, if the provider brings the case to court and the judge rules in their favour, then that judgement may affect someone's credit rating.

Oh right. Yeah, maybe I'm wrong, it was only what I thought anyway! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Yes

Mortgage
    Rent
    ESB
    Broadband
    Loan
    Credit Card

I see how Mortgage, loan and credit cards can be as their obviously associated with banks mentioned in the ICB. But what about the likes of Vodafone, O2, Meteor, UPC etc? Just thinking as I know a guy that just changed numbers with O2 as he couldn't pay his bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Yes

Mortgage
    Rent
    ESB
    Broadband

Loan
    Credit Card

FYP

Only loans from banks, some credit unions and credit cards will be on your icb record.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Also applying for lots of credit can have a negative impact on your credit rating. If you apply for multiple credit cards etc, even if you do not take the card. Every credit search is saved on your file for a certain amount of time. I think it may be three months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement