Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help identify this ITS HUGH!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

This is a Brown Hawker Aeshna grandis

Resident country wide though scarce in SW and far north.
    See info on dragonflyIreland
    & Facebook page with details of submitting records.

BTW, while it is large, it is not the largest dragonfly resident here, this is Emperor Dragonfly Anax imperator

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭captainwang

Have seen a few of them this year. Why did you bring it home you should have left it alone.

Maybe thought he had a mega rarity and needed evidence as proof ;)

It was probably lethargic after the night. They need a bit of solar energy to get going and was probably quite happy where it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Mothman wrote: »
    This is a Brown Hawker Aeshna grandis

Resident country wide though scarce in SW and far north.
    See info on dragonflyIreland
    & Facebook page with details of submitting records.

BTW, while it is large, it is not the largest dragonfly resident here, this is Emperor Dragonfly Anax imperator

I found it in carlow this morning and the length would be from my top of my middle finger to just in side palm.

is it normal to see them in carlow? i have never seen them here before

Have seen a few of them this year. Why did you bring it home you should have left it alone.

I was fasanated by it as id never seen one out side the movies beleve it or not, also it was on the footpath and it was just being blown by wind. it didnt start moving till i got home but it has stopped now :(

• Advertisement

At the dragonflyIreland link I gave you there is a distribution map with a number of records in the Carlow area.

I have seen them in Altamont Gardens many times.

Mothman wrote: »
    At the dragonflyIreland link I gave you there is a distribution map with a number of records in the Carlow area.

I have seen them in Altamont Gardens many times.

any idea why it would or how it would end up in the middle of a busy city center far from any water or green land?

When dragonflies emerge, it takes 10-14 days to become sexually mature. During this time they usually stay away from water, where there is most conflict. Also females (I think this is one) only go to water to mate and oviposit (lay eggs) They do this about every 3 days. So with this in mind, it can be understood why they may often be encountered away from water.
    As for being in an urban area, they will breed in garden ponds, canals and slow flowing rivers. All these may be present in an urban area.

Advertisement