Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I expected more from you Steve Angello.....

Options
  • 09-08-2011 2:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭

Pretty self explanatory as to what hes doing... Lots of DJ Geeks taking great offence to this, but I suppose, hes making big money, he doesn't give a shít if its pre recorded or not. Looks like hes bored off his tits also.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

It's fairly obvious that he has no love for the music that he is playing... Uninspired poppy trash, he could care less. Seems like he is just doing this for the pay check now... it's pretty sad... He looks like a slob (has a big ole belly now, smoking like a trooper, wearing sweatpants to a gig in front of 10-20K!!!) and an arrogant twat in this video also.

2004; he was writing stellar stuff, and 7 years later he is king wanker in a community that is top heavy with awful ego-maniacal ****. The worst part... He will keep on getting big gigs, getting paid handsomely, and in general he will still have a large portion of his fan base that doesn't give a **** if he plays a pre-recorded set or not as long as its got lots of "bangers" thrown in.

Also, DJs shouldn't turn their back on the crowd, its respectable only in the case of record selection :pac:

****ing sigh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

ianuss wrote: »
    i know some of you will still hate cause of the fact that hating is your game but i have now explained it and take it or leave it

5008_9c00_420.gif?1265669754

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/c8vsf8
    Can't believe you guys are still going for it . don't you have better things to do then make up bull**** to write about me faking a whole set when i just explained that it was the last 11 mins of my set so they could fire of the special fx and all the fireworks , stop with your bull**** and get on with your lives , if it would be up to you guys we would all be stuck in cells without electricity and banging on a floor without a big show so you would feel better for yourselves not being there , i would never fake a whole set in my entire life and those 10 mins are part of the show . if you don't wanna see fireworks and a massive finale stop buying tickets to events where that happens and stay home instead . i hate when people make up a big story and feed on it like sugar to ants . make something better of your time instead of wasting mine !! if you would put as much time on your own careers as you do talking **** maybe a thing like this wouldn't affect you , i know who my real fans are and you haters are not my real fans , cause if you would be you would get what i´m saying after seeing the shows we do , you probably haven't even been to any of my shows and won't ever come so drop it , get on with your lives ! - SA

Because it's in Swedish it's hard to read so I had it translated on the web:
    Hello everybody. I'm a mouldy auld cünt and I hate you all even more than I hate myself. You disgust me. I disgust me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

seems to be a bit of a cúnt this chap, deffo think hes takeing the piss out of punters with stuff like that goin on in the video above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

What confuses me most is that the OP expected more from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

This is commonplace. Sure I remember the goggles came off when I worked in event security in The Point a few years back. We watched Tiesto go through soundcheck then come out and do the the exact same show, beat-for-beat, lights and all. It was too perfectly co-ordinated and had to be pre-recorded, which meant the chap just did up a megamix at the start of his tour, then got paid to bounce around stage for a while in different countries.

It's obviously unfair that the guys who earn the most, do the least. But hey, it's akin to miming I suppose, just part of the game. People can complain but it won't change a thing.

It won't harm his career. The only people who'll care are DJ's who'll still have to buy his tunes to put in their sets (and the DJ's that won't, probably wouldn't have done so anyway). The big tracks that earn him real money will appeal to people who don't give a ****e. He'll just get a bit of aggro for getting everyone else caught.

Do you think you catch the scobe just by standing beside one of them at a concert like that. My hair start getting greasy just watching that and I started developing a prediliction for Ugg boots...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Im liking Angellos choice of classic rock, big finish and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

You really think anyone who goes to see Steve Angello gives two ****s about mixing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

my other half loves 'the mafia', theyre fookin cheesey pop tripe trying to get girls from listening to lady gaga to listening to their sh1te pop music.

and ex of mine was sure she was into dance music a few years back, was begging me to bring here to a proper gig.

we were in galway and francois K or sebastian Leger or someone was on in the GPO so we went. this was about 8 years ago maybe. lets jsut say she lasted about 20 mins of listening to filthy techno and tech house.

needless to say i brought her back to the room and created a row so i could go back to gpo on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

The only people who will give a crap is other DJ's, a small minority in the grand scheme of things.

Popstars mime their lyrics, everyone knows its, shows still sell out - maybe he did, maybe as he said he put on a mix for the last ten mins of the show.. so what ?

Get on with being the next superstar dj :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

copeyhagen wrote: »
    my other half loves 'the mafia', theyre fookin cheesey pop tripe trying to get girls from listening to lady gaga to listening to their sh1te pop music.

and ex of mine was sure she was into dance music a few years back, was begging me to bring here to a proper gig.

we were in galway and francois K or sebastian Leger or someone was on in the GPO so we went. this was about 8 years ago maybe. lets jsut say she lasted about 20 mins of listening to filthy techno and tech house.

needless to say i brought her back to the room and created a row so i could go back to gpo on my own.
    well played

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I can accept the idea of a 10 min medley as it would confirm what I've been seeing for years. Same goes for Tiesto and his shows. I saw him in Privilege this year for the opening party and its behind obvious that its (90% of it) all pre-recorded for the benefit of sync-ing the show. Looked great but that was about it.

However some tech was telling me they can monitor the mix remotely through the digital output from the deck i.e. Inaudible sub-tone. They can see what track is coming next and adjust accordingly. How true that is, I can only guess.

The pyro & lighting guys seem just as lazy as Angello. They can definitely BPM sync the lights etc to the decks through the outs, and all it takes is knowing the tracks he plays a bit to be able to do it properly live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

However some tech was telling me they can monitor the mix remotely through the digital output from the deck i.e. Inaudible sub-tone. They can see what track is coming next and adjust accordingly. How true that is, I can only guess.

Not true at all unless the lighting guy is syncing perhaps to an Ableton live show perhaps, even then he'd be getting midi signals from the controlling computer to trigger the lights.
    They can definitely BPM sync the lights etc to the decks through the outs

As a former lighting and Visual designer ..

1. BPM sync is unreliable at best, alot of guys will use presets on the desk to move the lamps and change color or if they are into it and have the spare time (which you don't at alot of gigs) have a some really good stuff pre-programmed and edit their "set" on the fly to go well with the music - you'll see at a ton of shows the scans on the floor (not including the main stage) just doing rotates and changing color 90% of the night.

2. Most of the lighting techs and/or Pyro's don't give a hoot about Dance music .. its U2 one day, Corrs the next, Korn the next and Tiesto the next - Its a job.

All it takes is knowing the music, and I can imagine for a night starter or ender it makes sense to play a pre-programmed mix which is being "synced" to.

Suppose it comes down to what clobbers want, good recorded mix with amazing lights, or good mixing with default lighting sequences. Not too sure myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

Any dance gig that has fireworks is bound to be ****e anyway.I quite enjoy hearing a dj "clang" ever so briefly live and then sync is back up,makes it feel more live :\

zega wrote: »
    Any dance gig that has fireworks is bound to be ****e anyway

Wouldn't fully agree with that. My old school I took over running the nights as a favor to an old teacher. Went from a 40 year old DJ with a 3 lamp chaser unit, to 6 movers, back projection and a confetti cannon. Got offered 3 permanent positions from event companies as the word went around with the parents through the kids. Pyro's and Lights really do make a night in my opinion, to the extent that it annoys me that many Dublin clubs don't make the investment in lighting.

Suppose though, I did actually expect a little more from Angello. I knew he was a tosser but didn't think he was quite in the same fold as Tiesto and the rest of them. Wonder how much of the Mafia set's are live these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

ironclaw wrote: »
    Suppose it comes down to what clobbers want, good recorded mix with amazing lights, or good mixing with default lighting sequences. Not too sure myself.

There is also the removal aspect, dude is ****ing miles away from the people he is "mixing" for, so it's not like they can really get into it anyway.

Give me small dark rooms over this arena bollix any day of the week.

Bang of Lynx and Ben Sherman off them anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

anyone ever been to gashouder in amsterdam for awakenings, the pyrotechnics go off throughout the night during different dj sets, they always seem fairly in time with the music, now i highly highly doubt that a lot of the djs that play there would ever agree to pre mixing part of a set so that the fireworks and lights can go with the music, i could be wrong but id find it hard to believe the likes of surgeon, regis, mills, dave clarke, bas mooy, dj boss, radial going for something like that, they certainly dont look at themsleves at popstars like those swedish cvnts.

actually if i remember correctly one of my mates was talking to one of the lads from radial the night he was playing at awakenings in gashouder and he was amazed that there was flame throwers and fireworks going off during their set. (the guy from radial, not my mate)

Same with Laurent Garnier at BLOC, the smoke cannons were perfectly in time, it made Gnanmankoudji amazing, and they were definitely playing live.

As I said, lazy lighting guys.

Advertisement