Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please..

Options
  • 09-08-2011 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi All.
    I have an eight year old goldfish. He lives alone in the tank since his siblings passed away, and until last week was as healthy as a horse.
    Last Tuesday, I bought some new gravel for his tank. I rinsed it as much as possible and gave it a final rinse with some of the tank water before placing in tank. But my lil' one has not been his usual happy self since then.
    Today he has several patches on him that look bloody. I have searched the internet and the only thing I can find is possible ammonia poisoning. I removed the gravel and changed 40% of the water and tomorrow will get a water testing kit.
    His appetite is fine and he is not gasping for air, but I am so worried about my little guy.
    Any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Are you treating the water you're adding to the tank? Tap water has ammonia in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Waterfordlass

Yes, I treat it with stress coat, which I have always used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭paul71

Hi Waterfordlass,

Did the link I PM'ed help? If you had no joy perhaps you could post a picture of your friend here.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Sleepy wrote: »
    Are you treating the water you're adding to the tank? Tap water has ammonia in it...

Tap water does not have Ammonia in it but if it contains Chloramines and you
    add a dechlorinator that only removes Chlorine than you can release
    ammonia into the water.
    You never stated whether you have a filter in the tank.
    You might also have released some nasties into the tank when you removed the
    pebbles. IE. Hydrogen Sulphide..

Advertisement