Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ski holidays jan 2012?

Options
  • 09-08-2011 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

anyone suggestions for me for a ski holiday in jan 2012, we have been to france (three valleys, avoriaz) and andorra (soldeu, arinsal)on previous holidays. there will be approx 12 of us going so if anyone can suggest a quality destination for adults between 25-40 yrs of age. looking for beginner/intermediate ski location (night life is not a major issue but the slopes are) might try and rent a chalet this year, would people recommed doing this
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

Hi, we've always gone to Austria. For beginners/intermediate try Westendorf, Soll or Kitzbuhel, all of which we loved.

I'd be a beginner, OH would be quite good and there was plenty to challenge him, with all the links to the Skiwelt (sp). We also went to St. Anton, but the skiing there was way too advanced for me.

The groups we went with were all early 30's to late 40's. Plenty of good restaurants to suit everyone, great après ski and the instructors were great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

ya i think id like to try austria, was the accomadation good over there or just average like most ski resorts, not looking for luxury but something reasonable would be great, kitzbuhel sounds good to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

ya i think id like to try austria, was the accomadation good over there or just average like most ski resorts, not looking for luxury but something reasonable would be great, kitzbuhel sounds good to me!!

We had a mixture over the years, B&B type and an all inclusive hotel - B&Bs were great, clean, comfortable, relaxed, good sized breakfast buffet. You spend so much time each day on the slopes or après ski or with friends enjoying the atmosphere all you need is a bed and a decent shower!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Some good advice there, I'd also recommend Austria. Theres heaps of good resorts to choose from, no one does Apres Ski like Austria!

In Austria I've been to St Anton, Zell am Zee and Saalbach\Hinterglem. I'd have no problem recommending any of them, but as kitten said St Anton is a little more advanced, also very expensive. Zell is a beautiful town, but not very challenging. Saalbach had it all, lovely town, huge ski area for all levels, not too pricey either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 westham87

What about Morzine in France?

I have traveled twice with activitybreaks.com before and I know they have chalets in Morzine at a pretty good price. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Kmc123

If you are open to Italy id recommend Livigno.

Was there 2 years ago and there are plenty of slopes to keep the group occupied!!

We stayed at Bennys hotel which is just at the base of the slopes!! it hosts a good crowd after a good days skiing and has an in house dj!! There are also plenty of bars to keep ye occupied and plenty of duty free shopping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

westham87 wrote: »
    What about Morzine in France?

I have traveled twice with activitybreaks.com before and I know they have chalets in Morzine at a pretty good price. :cool:
    Kmc123 wrote: »
    If you are open to Italy id recommend Livigno.

Was there 2 years ago and there are plenty of slopes to keep the group occupied!!

We stayed at Bennys hotel which is just at the base of the slopes!! it hosts a good crowd after a good days skiing and has an in house dj!! There are also plenty of bars to keep ye occupied and plenty of duty free shopping!!

What kind of prices lads? :)

rossc007 wrote: »
    What kind of prices lads? :)

We went with Directski in Jan 2009 adn were looking at roughly 850 for the whole package, the duty free also means shopping is dirt cheap

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

... all you need is a bed and a decent shower!!!

A decent breakfast helps to get me started in the morning, but other than that I'd agree with you that the accommodation is relatively insignificant if you're wanting to save a few quid.

i think we paid around 1000 euros per person for the week, which sounds like a lot but we were there during school holidays and the package we got included ski passes and it was a catered chalet so all the grub and drink, including booze was included...

• Advertisement

westham87 wrote: »
    i think we paid around 1000 euros per person for the week, which sounds like a lot but we were there during school holidays and the package we got included ski passes and it was a catered chalet so all the grub and drink, including booze was included...

Did you book the chalet yourselves?? we are trying to source one for this year in Austria, possible Soll and finding it hard to find a catered one located in town

Kmc123 wrote: »
    Did you book the chalet yourselves?? we are trying to source one for this year in Austria, possible Soll and finding it hard to find a catered one located in town

no we booked it with Activity Breaks. I dont know if they offer Soll, dont remember seeing it last time but who knows. You should call them, i spoke to a girl called sarah and she was really helpfull in booking ours, so i am sure she could find out for you.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DC1976

Austria, craic is great and skiing is great too !

• Registered Users Posts: 21 scotty63

Highly recommend westerndorf
    We stayed in http://www.barbara-appartements.at/en/ great location, good value. Ski lifts 3 min, town 3 min. Owned by people from Cork.
    Ski hire http://www.snow-co.com/information/ski-area/
    We met the owner on a trip and he became a friend, good guy and will deal. Tell him Donal from Ireland sent you.

Advertisement