Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senior Cat and Kitten - Can they Get On?

Options
  • 08-08-2011 11:58pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm new to the Animal & Pet Issue forum. I am looking for a little advice. My sister has a senior female cat (17yo) and a 8 week old male kitten that has been a playful and fun addition to her household.

The problem is that her old cat doesn't seem to get on well with the kitten. She hisses at him whenever he come close to her and indeed seems to want out a lot more. The kitten has been chasing after the older cat and has tried to eat from her bowl.

Following advice from a friend, we got a cage for the kitten to stay inside when the older cat is inside the house to keep the two apart but it's unfair to keep the kitten caged in whenever the cat is in the house. Can the cat learn to live with the kitten? Is there any advice for this situation?

I would be very grateful if someone could give me a little advice. The kitten is a great little entertainer.:o:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I have just gone through this with my cat. He is 3 years old and we got two kittens about 4 months ago. To be entirely honest it was a lot of work!!! When they first came home we kept the kittens in a separate room while we were not in the house. A kitten should never be left alone with an old cat, we only let them unsupervised once the kittens were 16 weeks old and they were starting to get on OK with the older cat.

This way our cat got a break from the kittens when we were in work and bed and the kittens got their own space too. After being taken from their mother, moving to a new house can be very stressful for them.

The old cat had a lot of fights with the kittens but thankfully it was never more than a hiss or a quick smack (without nails) from the older cat to the kittens. And they kinda deserved it! It was really tough though, the old cat was very grumpy and we were very stressed by this. After 2 months of this we eventually let the kittens and the old cat interact when we were not there. This meant though when we got home our old cat would be sitting outside our spare room asking to be let in and wanted his own space. So then he spent about 4 weeks doing this. He wanted to be put in a room when the kittens were around. Eventually after 4 months they are getting along ok. He has a lot of patience with them but they do push him a lot!!!!

The important thing is that your old cat knows he is the most important, first to be fed, first to be cuddled. If there is a treat you give him, don't give it to the kitten so he feels more important. I sneak him dreamies now and again but that is very bold since he is on a diet.

Best of luck with it though, it takes a lot of patience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I have a really cranky old cat, and she always hisses at new kittens and scratches them but she always gets used to them in the end :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Thanks a million for the advice. The cat and kitten are still at a tense standoff - mostly all from the senior cat - but having their own spaces seems to be important for the 2 cats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 EvesBlogg

Hi - I had this problem too, cats do not always welcome new additions and will go off on their own to sulk. They feel no need to bond with a new member of the pack like dogs! Older cats have been nasty, attacked, hissed and spat at new kittens of mine in the past, but with a little time, your cat will get accustomed to the little one, and maybe even start to play with it - it happened with mine. The best way to get them to get along is too put them in the same room at feeding time, making sure that they each have their separate bowls. Gradually move them closer together. Works every time. The older cat will soon accept it being around and that it is not a threat. Take your time and have patience

Advertisement