Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question About Port Serving Size

Options
  • 08-08-2011 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi, Just a quick question:

How much should be in a serving of port? It was Sandeman's and I was told to serve a single shot, the same as vodka but the customers couldn't believe this.

Looking online a lot of people serve more; just wondering what the convention is in Ireland.

Thanks. :pac:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I generally give a decent pour of around 80-100ml though my work is pretty lax so we've never really been told to serve any exact amount of it.

It's a wine after all and since it's not served with ice or a mixer it can be gone pretty quickly if you're only giving out 35ml of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

When I worked in a bar I always gave double measures of Port and Irish Cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

irish_goat wrote: »
    I generally give a decent pour of around 80-100ml though my work is pretty lax so we've never really been told to serve any exact amount of it.

It's a wine after all and since it's not served with ice or a mixer it can be gone pretty quickly if you're only giving out 35ml of it.

the "correct" serving glass for port is like a sherry glass and holds 5-6 ounces, that's about 17cl/170ml. Port is considerably higher in alcohol than wine and so the serving is smaller than wine. If it's a vintage sherry, 10 years or older, decant it first.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    the "correct" serving glass for port is like a sherry glass and holds 5-6 ounces, that's about 17cl/170ml. Port is considerably higher in alcohol than wine and so the serving is smaller than wine. If it's a vintage sherry, 10 years or older, decant it first.

A sherry glass is 120ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Port should be served as a double measure -I've argued with countless bar staff on this point.
    Think of the price of a bottle of cheap port compared with the price of a bottle of spirits and even with a double, it's a good deal to the publican.

A Bailey's measure is 50ml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In the bars I worked in it was always served as a double measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

Agree with TheBeerRevolution - port is usually served as a double spirit measure (71ml). I have seen pubs serve it as a single or one and a half measure and I suppose there is nothing wrong with that if it is priced accordingly and described as such on the required price lists.

Baileys introduced their own 50ml dispense optic a few years ago. Before that it varied but was usually served as one and a half measures (approx 53 ml).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Belated thank yous. It seems a double is more common/fair. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Niall_G wrote: »
    Baileys introduced their own 50ml dispense optic a few years ago. Before that it varied but was usually served as one and a half measures (approx 53 ml).

The baileys optic gets very messy and sticky very quickly, not the best idea in the world.

I agree with everyone else port is served as a double!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Niall_G wrote: »
    I have seen pubs serve it as a single or one and a half measure and I suppose there is nothing wrong with that if it is priced accordingly and described as such on the required price lists.
    Problem is they only have to list "at least one type" of wine, so I doubt many. if anybody, has it listed (on the legally required list)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0263.html

Baileys should have glasses with 50ml indication lines on them (or do they?), there is no need for a dirty big horrible white text either, it could be a discrete etched line.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    Baileys should have glasses with 50ml indication lines on them (or do they?)
    Don't think so. It's normally served from an optic, or via a metal measure.

Advertisement