Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Money Card?

Options
  • 08-08-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Just wondering if anyone has any opinion on the new O2 Money Card? I'm thinking that on-line selling could sky rocket with this new card. It gives people, who usually wouldn't have any way to buy on-line, an easy and safe way to buy on-line.

I also know people who don't want to use their credit card on-line but got the O2 money card specifically to buy products and services on-line as they thought using their credit card was too risky. You can put €20 on the card a buy a small product. If anyone steals your number (worst case scenario) who cares as it's only €20. Not like your credit card where you could have a credit limit of 5k or 10k. I know they are insured but people are still worried about the internet.

The card will also extend to people who don't want to get a credit card and pay back large interest rates on the card.

What do people here think? Could this be good for business?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Until you see the fees... And the card can't be used everywhere online, only for 1 time purchases,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Well i can only speak for myself, my parents are fairly old fashioned when it comes to using the visa online and don't really trust it but the o2 card has changed this completely and lets me buy whatever I like online risk free so it has indeed been great.

None of these on my mbna card,, just the tax

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/uploads/pdfs/o2-money/O2-Money-Tarriffs.pdf

Can the card be used on ryanair to avoid thr credit card charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

alex73 wrote: »

I don't think you've quite realised - it's aimed towards people who under normal circumstances, cannot get a credit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭MyBusinez.com

Well i can only speak for myself, my parents are fairly old fashioned when it comes to using the visa online and don't really trust it but the o2 card has changed this completely and lets me buy whatever I like online risk free so it has indeed been great.

This is what I am thinking. It will create a new type of on-line buyer. The Irish are supposed to be in the top 10 on-line buyers in the world.

Alex, I know there are fees with it but they seem to be pretty up front with the fees. I think once you understand them you can minimise them. For on-line businesses this could be a good thing as more people will buy on-line. I think it could be the start of a new wave of on-line sales.

Most banks in ireland offer a debit visa, so i can only spend whats in my current account, no over draft, no fees.

Yes the card is good, but those less well off end up paying more...

Good think you are not stung with those hideous credit card rates when you don't pay it off... So it does have benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭MyBusinez.com

alex73 wrote: »

First time I've heard of it to be honest. Seems more expensive to buy but good to have options. Are the charges less than the O2 card?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The O2 card isnt anything new, there have been other pre paid cards out before which work in the same manner such as http://www.payzonemoney.com/

And to the poster above they arent necessarily mainly aimed at people who cant normally get a normal credit card. They are also at people who dont want to get a credit card and risk running up debt and excess spending. You can only spend what you put on the card so it stops that but obviously the fees are very high and I know with the payzone one there is a charge to top up the card each time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement