Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesbian couple lOoking to adopt

Options
  • 08-08-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Myself and my girlfriend where wondering if you can adopt a child in Ireland if the adoptive parents are lesbians?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

No, is the simple answer.
    Domestic adoptions in Ireland are now very rare and most adoptions are from other countries now.

"Who May Adopt?

The following persons are eligible to adopt:

(a) a married couple living together; this is the only circumstance where the law permits the adoption of a child by more than one person:

(b) a married person alone; in this circumstance the spouse's consent to adopt must be obtained, unless they are living apart and are separated under (i) a court decree or (ii) deed of separation or (iii) the spouse has deserted the prospective adopter or (iv) conduct on the part of the spouse results in the prospective adopter, with just cause, leaving the spouse and living apart;

(c) the mother, father or a relative of the child (relative meaning a grandparent, brother, sister, uncle or aunt of the child and/or the spouse of any such person, the relationship to the child being traced through the mother or the father);

(d) a widow or widower.

A sole applicant who does not come within the classes of persons defined under (c) and (d) above may only adopt where the Board is satisfied that, in the particular circumstances of the case, it is desirable to grant an order. It is not possible for two unmarried persons to adopt jointly."

http://www.aai.gov.ie/index.php/domestic-adoption/non-family-adoption.html

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Folks

Firstly I dont want to start an argument here, however the roundabout answer to your question is yes.
    I know couples who have done this.

But ... (there is always a BUT where adoption is concerned in ireland) only one of the couple will be the adoptive parent, offically.
    The HSE, who will carry out your assesment will allow you both on the courses and you will be assesed together, but one will be offically classed as a "sole adopter"

I hope I am making myself clear, probably not though.

Hope that helps a bit, dont let the system drown your hope if this is your dream.
    There is a gay couple who have been in teh media recently as they were the first gay couple to become foster parents.

You could contact the offices of the IAA, they are a volutary but very well run organisiation that assist parents and potential adoptive parents.

Best of luck to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

I think gay partners can definitely foster if thats any help.
    As above poster says one of you could adopt a child.
    But you couldnt adopt as a couple.
    lets hope society progresses in the near future.
    Best of Luck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd like to clarify this slightly- you can be accessed as a single person to adopt (both in the relationship can)- however you will then have to adopt from abroad, and have the adoption registered in Ireland. The adoption of Irish children by non-relative Irish- is for all intents and purposes a thing of the past- in the last year for which records have been made available (2008) only 3 instances of adoption of Irish children by non-relative adoptive parents occurred.

When adopting from abroad you also have to satisfy any rules or regulations of the country from which you intend to adopt, and you have to examine the regulatory framework and processes in place for adopting between Ireland and the country in question. Ireland is now party to the Hague Convention, thankfully, which does specify minimum frameworks (it was a long time in coming, as there was vociferous opposition from organisations purporting to represent the interests of adoptive parents, against Ireland signing the convention.)

You actually have quite a few things to consider- only one step of which is being assessed by the Irish authorities as an adoptive parent.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kitkat72

Hi just a quick question. My husband is 48 and I am 39. We were basically told that if we applied my husband age would prohibit us from being approved (not officially of course because that would be ageism). My question is can I apply by myself??? I understand it would be overseas adoption - please let me know what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

kitkat72 wrote: »
    Hi just a quick question. My husband is 48 and I am 39. We were basically told that if we applied my husband age would prohibit us from being approved (not officially of course because that would be ageism). My question is can I apply by myself??? I understand it would be overseas adoption - please let me know what you think.

Yes- you can adopt by yourself, even if you're married- the Adoption Authority have a special form specifically for this eventuality- in essence its a legal document to be completed by the husband or wife who is not adopting, recognising the adoption that their partner intends to make etc. They waive this form if you're separated/divorced.

To be honest with you- at age 39, you're quite likely to be turned down yourself on age grounds, never mind your husband's 48......... My wife and I are both 37 and have been advised that were to apply to adopt (which we don't intend to do) that we'd be turned down on both age and also health grounds.........

In short- apply as a couple, and apply in your own right. Do both- there actually isn't any formal age limit- and a lot of adoption agencies will have a preference for a couple adopting- regardless of age. Do both- keep all your options open.

KitKat, having been through the process myself with papers in Bulgaria waiting with hope for our child - I can tell you that from the Irish side of things they cannot and will not discriminate based on age.
    There may be one or two bad eggs still left that will try to change your mind, but I think they will try to change evryones mind. I personally know couples in their 40's being assessed at the moment.
    The HSE will asses you both and at every turn they will point out the negatives, however, if this is what you really want then no amount of negativity will stop you. you will find strength from other people you meet on the same path.

Where your age comes into it is your country of choice, as there are no Domestic adoptions you must adopt from abroad, and each country has a different set of rules if you like. Some countries won't accept sole adopters, some countries there is an age limit, some countries the couple has to be married 5 years or more.

I hope this helps a little, as I said if this is what you really want, don't let anyone stop you.

Smccarrick - I feel terribly sad that you were told this, even though it's not what you want, but 37 would be on the younger side of couples trying to adopt in Ireland. It makes me soooo mad.

So you see

Sorry I couldn't delete "so you see" for some reason, just ignore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kitkat72

SMcarrick thank you for your reply - I am sorry tho hear about your being told that - here I am thinking myself a young one;) and my god 37 is so young to be told that!!!!
    Merrilady -thanks for your reply as well - we are just going to go for it - the sad part is this was two years ago that we were first told this about the age would be a barrier and we decided not to go for it. I am so mad at ourselves for giving up so easy and if I had not found this thread I would never have asked!!!! I have called to put our name on the list yesterday for meeting so here we go!!! Best of luck to you with Bulgaria - I hope you will not be waiting too long more before your child is with you!!!! Thanks again and best wishes!!!:)

Advertisement