Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compressed air for noisy fan

Options
  • 08-08-2011 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

My laptop fan is very noisy recently and I'm certain it'd dust and lint build-up. It's not cooling properly as a result and I have to prop the laptop up to aid cooling.
    I've been told that compressed air will only blow the dust/lint into the machine and will only cause more problems but anything I've read online says that it is alright.
    Can you tell me if compressed air is the way to go and where I can buy compressed air in Limerick City.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

You can buy compressed air in most places that sell PC's and PC equipment.

Harvey Normans, PC world etc..

Compressed air is good at removing most, but if there are big clumps of lint in the fan, it may be best to try and remove the panel, and pick it out manually, before blasting it with the air again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mike_n

Thanks Allyall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

what laptop is it, its not that had to open the back of it to clean out the air flow passage and give the fan a good clean

what laptop is it, its not that had to open the back of it to clean out the air flow passage and give the fan a good clean

HP Pavilion dv7 3112-sa

missed the noisy fan part just thought it was fan problems,

if its noisy the bearings on the fan could be gone or the fan is off balance causing it to make noise,

is it always noisy or just start to get noisy sometimes

• Advertisement

is it always noisy or just start to get noisy sometimes

It's noisy on startup and isn't that noisy afterwards. It's overheating easily so it's constantly spinning pretty quick.

well if you are going to use compressed air, make sure the laptop is off, battery out and do not spray the can upside down as it causes a lil bit of liquid build up, it evaporates but if you have power on it could short something

also be no harm to redo any thermal paste if there is any on your processor or graphics card

Cool. Thanks for your help DrGreenthumb. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hurla

Mike, can I ask you how long you've had the computer? If it's relatively new, then there shouldn't be much dust. I was actually thinking of buying a HP Pavilion DV7 (6154EA) but one of the issues I'm worried about is overheating and noisy fans. I've read a few complaints here and there so this thread caught my attention.

Have you had any other problems with the laptop? Would you recommend it?

• Advertisement

also be no harm to redo any thermal paste if there is any on your processor or graphics card

May I ask what you mean by redoing thermal paste?

I've had it over a year and a half. This only happened recently. I was in Holland on Erasmus for 4 months this summer and everyone in the house was using it on their laps, on cushions and on beds so that definitely contributed to it. I didn't notice anything and had no problems before I went over. The real pain is getting at the fan. I really don't fancy taking the whole thing apart to get at it. There's no specific panel for the fan, it's the whole bottom. All in all I've had no problems but one of my friends has the exact one I have for longer and his gets pretty hot but not as hot or noisy as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Have you downloaded and updated the latest BIOS? - From HERE

(Just noticed, the last BIOS update was around the time you may have bought it, Feb 2010)

Still may be worth doing if it needs to be done.

Also here is Disassembly Instructions to taking apart a HP Pavilion DV7 series laptop.
    The guide will show how to access both memory modules and hard drives if you are upgrading the notebook, remove most internal components, access and clean the cooling fan.

May be of some help to you. Down the bottom of the article it says
    UPDATE:
    There are only two fans listed in the service manual for HP Pavilion dv7 series notebook. They are listed on the page 27.
    488885-001 for laptops equipped with AMD processor.
    480481-001 for laptops equipped with Intel processors.
    One of the DIY-ers had trouble searching for a new replacement fan for her AMD notebook. After the notebook was disassembled, she found that it had an Intel fan installed.

Ok. It sounds like you'll have to get that fan cleaned. If you're worried about opening up the computer, then you could probably bring it to a repair shop and get it done for not too much as it's a low tech job.

Also, you might want to look at reducing the number of programs that are loading at startup. When you install new software, it often adds itself to the auto startup list so you might have a lot of programs running at startup without you knowing it, thereby taxing the computer. You can see what programs run at startup by typing "msconfig" into the search bar on the main Windows start menu. That opens a new Dialog Box. Then click the Startup tab. Don't uncheck anything unless you know you don't need it at startup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

buy the air in tesco and by pass most of the other crap here :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I really don't fancy taking the whole thing apart to get at it.

compressed air will NOT work. you have no choice but to take the laptop apart as you will have to unscrew the two screws holding the fan to the base of the laptop chassy. when you remove the small fan you will see a hard rectangular shaped lump of compressed hardened fluff and dust plus compressed hairs blocking the entrance to the fan under the black sheath fan cover. you just pull it out and hoover the fan reasemble it and your good to go.

do not waste you're money on compressed air as it will make matters worse.

if you have the make and model of the laptop add it here to this thread and i will send you the service manual.

Advertisement