Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lungs clearing out?? true or false

Options
  • 08-08-2011 4:11pm

so nearly four weeks off them, doing great, delighted with myself, just one question,ive always believed that your body cleans itself after you stop smoking, you know, coughing up all sorts of horrible!!im not experiencing any of this, i feel fine.i smoked 20 or so a day for over 20 years, could it be that my lungs are just black and full of crap so will take another while for them to clear??or is it just not true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

I smoked 20+ a day for 30 years. I am exactly 7 months off them today. I only had a cough when I smoked! I don't think I have coughed once since I stopped.

It was explained to me that, as a smoker, ones lungs have to constantly clear themselves. Otherwise they would be full of tar. On the other hand, some people look very worried when you say you have had no cough - like it's a sign of doom! :eek: Smoking affects people differently, so you are probably fine, but go to doc for reassurance if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I got the coughs and lungs clearing out in month 3. It was horrible the amount of gunk that came out. Lasted a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭belle2e

I smoked 14 years off them now 4 weeks and havent witnessed the so called cough either.
    I have noticed some positives that i can breathe better cycle better and sleep better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

im of them about 8-9 months now, and I didn't really get the cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Norderburse

Quit almost 4 years ago after 13 years of heavy smoking...was dreading the cough and 'clearing out' but it didn't really happen like that for me, definitely noticed a difference in what a deep breath meant over time though, so obviously something was improving! Best of luck with your quit :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭belle2e

Do you know where i can start my own thread in boards i cant find the section anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Red Neck Hughie

Off them since April this year, still bringing up phlegm in the mornings and my lung capacity feels crap but its getting better. I used to get heart palpitations and they've stopped. I put on weight but its as much due to less physical work as it is due to not smoking. Went for a run today too, first time since ..1998??
    Keep with it, if it was easy we'd all have given up long ago.
    (never got this cough though, this time or other times I'd quit, in fact I haven't even had a headache or a cold since I quit)

Advertisement