Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croagh Patrick

Options
  • 08-08-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm thinking of climbing Croagh Patrick and was wondering if anyone can tell me how they found it ? Im not a very experienced mountain climber I walk alot and have climbed The Little Sugar Loaf awhile back and am wondering would I need to put in some training or is it possible just to go do it? On average how long does the round trip climb take?

Thanks

Comments

It's fine in terms of getting to the top, old people do it barefoot. But the last 20 mins is a bit of a pull - I don't know how those old people do it do it. What surprised me was that it was so hard, seeing as so many people negotiate it. I'd say some degree of fitness would help alright. But no mountain skills necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Its a pretty spectacular but easy climb. I'd say the round trip prob takes about four hours. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Its the most popular mountain in Ireland to climb.The path up is very well worn although its a little too well worn in places these days and locals are worried its becoming too slippery as people are now running up and down it and rocks that were used for grip and are becoming loose or have fallen out.4 hours should do it for you fine,the first time you tackle it the last 20mins of the climb after the ridge can be hard for some but take your time and you'll be fine.The view from the top is well worth it.Its a nice climb,enjoy it:).

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭couscous007

short wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm thinking of climbing Croagh Patrick and was wondering if anyone can tell me how they found it ? Im not a very experienced mountain climber I walk alot and have climbed The Little Sugar Loaf awhile back and am wondering would I need to put in some training or is it possible just to go do it? On average how long does the round trip climb take?

Thanks

I'm planning onb climbing it on 20th at around 6pm - or on the 21st Aug - as part of my preparation for Kilimanjaro charity climb in a couple of weeks. You're welcome to join me. I'll echo what everyone else has said. The last 20 mins are a bit of a hard exercise in stamina, but the views are stunning.

Advertisement