Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom Feedback

Options
  • 08-08-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or does "Phantom Feedback" with Muireann O'Connell sound more like a "Girl Talk" afternoon show? Just seems to be constant female interest items, with little or nothing to do with music. A little alienating for the male, music fan listener.

I realise prior to this it was Alison and Roisín, and before that Simon and Roisín (which I dearly miss). I've just heard Muireann asking someone "Hugh Laurie - yes or no" :confused::(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

haven't listened to her show as i listen to Phantom for music, not banal chitchat which I could get from the national stations. her "topics" come up on the Phantom status updates on Facebook though, and they're usually the exact same thing that's discussed on the Newstalk breakfast show that morning, which I now listen to instead of Richie and Charlotte playing the same songs as the day before, and the day before that, etc etc. presumably when the Newstalk team are finished, they send their topic notes to Phantom's floor, ready to be regurgitated later in the day on "Dublin's Indie Rock" station.

the early afternoon chat show, whether it's Muireann, Alison, Roisin or Simon, is the main reason i don't bother listening to Phantom during the day. if i wanted to listen to some half-arsed debate, or people promoting some rubbish book they're written etc., i'd just turn on Ray D'Arcy, or whatever other idiot is on 2fm/todayfm at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Good post ghostdancer, like many on this forum charting the demise of Phantom. There was a thread a few months ago about a name change to kroq or something. I wish the todayfm/98fm/newstalk crew would have meeting and just do it - change the name. I still have very fond memories of discovering Phantom in the late '90s and it had a very clear identity and one that appealed to me. That identity is long gone. I still listen to the station sometimes but nothing like I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

Proxy wrote: »
    Is it just me or does "Phantom Feedback" with Muireann O'Connell sound more like a "Girl Talk" afternoon show?

I just don't think that Muireann has the skill or life experience to discuss anything outside her comfort zone. It wouldn't be so bad if she just shut up and played music, but she's forever yak, yak, yakking. I don't think Alison was any good building a rapport either mind. (Moncreiff on Newstalk if you want to hear an engaging presenter.)

Advertisement