Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHEMICAL INSECTICIDE DDVP (DICHLORVOS)

Options
  • 08-08-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Not sure where i should have posted this thread. i know farmers have sprays for crops and such. so i tried here.

i am living in the country with lots of trees and sheep farmers around me. i am having major major trouble with flies both inside and outside the house and surrounding area.

in the attic at any one time will be a couple of thousand dead flies. clear them up and weeks later more dead bodies.

outside in the lawn or road is just impossible with flies . they come land in my ears in my mouth and eyes. its unreal . one time they chased my wife in t he lawn she had to run came to me and the flies just swarmed over me i had to run one direction and the back , over and back and they just kept following me. so we contacted rentokil. they are very expensive. so i want to buy a knapsack and the correct chemical to kill these pests. chemical is called ddvp. its sprayed onto walls and windows of house. i am thinking maybe i can spray parts of the trees too.

we cant continue to live like this each summer. its just incredible. probably caused by the amount of sheep here i think.

so any ideas on where i can buy such a chemical or another chemical that will work the same way. or if you have any suggestions please do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Not sure where i should have posted this thread. i know farmers have sprays for crops and such. so i tried here.

i am living in the country with lots of trees and sheep farmers around me. i am having major major trouble with flies both inside and outside the house and surrounding area.

in the attic at any one time will be a couple of thousand dead flies. clear them up and weeks later more dead bodies.

outside in the lawn or road is just impossible with flies . they come land in my ears in my mouth and eyes. its unreal . one time they chased my wife in t he lawn she had to run came to me and the flies just swarmed over me i had to run one direction and the back , over and back and they just kept following me. so we contacted rentokil. they are very expensive. so i want to buy a knapsack and the correct chemical to kill these pests. chemical is called ddvp. its sprayed onto walls and windows of house. i am thinking maybe i can spray parts of the trees too.

we cant continue to live like this each summer. its just incredible. probably caused by the amount of sheep here i think.

so any ideas on where i can buy such a chemical or another chemical that will work the same way. or if you have any suggestions please do.

Rather than add chemical poisoning to your list of woes, you need to find out where this plague of flies coming from. In the attic there must be something like a carcass or food. Do you use rodent poisons? Might be a dead mouse up there.

Outside again there must be something attracting them if they are in those numbers (assuming you are not talking about house flies or midges).

I think you should start by identifying what flies they are (post a good photo of a few of them here or on the nature forum - dead but not squashed!).

I think spraying your house with chemicals that have a dodgy reputation is a very risky way of dealing with a problem that should be tackled at source. Lots of us live besides trees & sheep and don't have a problem like that, it's not just because you live in the country.

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

or if you have any suggestions please do.

I'm not familiar with that chemical at all.

I do have a suggestion though. These are supposed to be very effective and can catch up to 20,000 flies at a time. If nothing else they may offer some temporary reduction in numbers.

However they don't look pretty and aren't supposed to smell the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭nilhg

I can't see that chemical in the Dept of Agri's PCS Database so I don't think you will have much luck getting an agri version of it.

johngalway's suggestion might be worth a look or one or two of the electronic fly killers on the market.

nilhg wrote: »
    I can't see that chemical in the Dept of Agri's PCS Database so I don't think you will have much luck getting an agri version of it.

johngalway's suggestion might be worth a look or one or two of the electronic fly killers on the market.

Well maybe but it is moving straight through to killing the flies, but there has to be a reason for them, whether its a dead bird in the attic, or a composter or whatever.

It would be a lot simpler to deal with that.

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭nilhg

LostCovey wrote: »
    Well maybe but it is moving straight through to killing the flies, but there has to be a reason for them, whether its a dead bird in the attic, or a composter or whatever.

It would be a lot simpler to deal with that.

LC

You will often get a lot of flies around livestock though, especially if the management isn't great, there doesn't always have to be dead carcasses about.

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    You will often get a lot of flies around livestock though, especially if the management isn't great, there doesn't always have to be dead carcasses about.

Well I think it is very unusual to have a nuisance on this scale without a source (and a carcass is only one possibility). I do not know what kind of management you are referring to that would do this in August.

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

There really is no point in chemically treating the flies if you do not find the source of the problem. We have sheep, cattle and horses within close proximity of our house and we never have a problem with flies. Trees attract midges. My parents have a forest close to their house and they cannot put horses in the fields beside the forest because one of them has a reaction to midge bites. But these flies don't really affect humans - only on hot and humid days.

By all means, chemically treat if you feel that it is necessary, but if you don't find the source, the flies will be back within a few weeks. Would you have used rat or mouse poison recently? It could be the dead rodents? However a more likely source is your drains around the house. A simple check by opening lids will tell you if there are swarms of flies in the system? It could be a half blockage, a dip in a pipe or a gully not functioning correctly. It should be air tight!! A simple flush of a toilet along with a tap running will tell a tale to you - there should be no water backing up. Other than that, do you have a soakpit? If you do, you should take the cover off it to inspect it, and also check where the outflow enters the watercourse for swarms of flies.

Hope it works out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭leoch

i had same problem in my attic they come in the vents or under the slates and live in the attic for the heat,i rang a fella doing the renokill thing on his own and he sprayed around all the windows and window jams with a clear spray and then he sprayed all the attic area with a white powder spray and it solved the problem i think it was €90 but best money ever spent at least now we can leave a window open, he said that might have to be done every couple of years or u could be lucky and they might never come back wat area u in i think this man was north donegal area

Advertisement