Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CBT regulation in Ireland

Options
  • 08-08-2011 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi. Im just wondering if CBT is regulated and who regulates it in ireland. I understand counselling and psychotherapy is not regulated as such by one governing body so Im not sure about cognitive behavioural therapy. Im a psychology graduate and am thinking of doing a 2 year part time masters in CBT run by the NCPII, its hetac level 9 accredited but what Im wondering is can I then set up my own practice or must I apply to an outside body for registration? I know there are a few but if regulation is a grey area what benifit is it to register with them? Most require you to do more work exp to get registration.
    Any advice would be great .
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Until Stat Reg comes into place, no one is in charge. There is no regulation for psychotherapists, this is different to being a member of a profession body. Unless your a Psychologist who practices CBT, AFAIK they are cover by Stat Reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 psychk

Thanks, I thought so but alot of these "regulating bodys" try to get you to join them but who knows whats best , I didint understand your last sentence.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There are only 2 reputable CBT bodies in Ireland: the National Association for CBT (part of Irish Council for Psychotherapy) and the Irish Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (part of BABCP). Both of these bodies have been in existence since the 1980s. Unless the course contributes substantially to the criteria for registration/accreditation with one of these bodies, it's not worth doing IMHO. Courses should be able to provide you with accredited/registered clinical supervisors - registered or accredited with one of these 2 bodies.

Statutory Registration will eventually cover psychologists, but counsellors and psychotherapists (i.e. non-psychologists) will not be covered by statutory registration.

There's quite a bit of information on all of this in previous threads if you'd like to do a forum search.

Thanks Im new to boards and wasnt sure how to search properly:)

Statutory Registration will eventually cover psychologists, but counsellors and psychotherapists (i.e. non-psychologists) will not be covered by statutory registration.

We will JC, It's just that is so much infighting between profession bodies that is causeing the problem, unless you are aware of something I'm not. Because both of my professional bodies are still involved in discussions. I thought you guys where covered already?

• Advertisement

Odysseus wrote: »
    We will JC, It's just that is so much infighting between profession bodies that is causeing the problem, unless you are aware of something I'm not. Because both of my professional bodies are still involved in discussions. I thought you guys where covered already?

Discussions with whom? If you look at the coru website you'll see that therapists and counsellors are not on the list for regulation.

Yes, psychologists are on the list.

Most CBT therapists have a core profession which is either already statutorily regulated (doctors and nurses- psychiatrists and psychiatric nurses) or will be: Social Workers (psychiatric), Occupational Therapists (mental health) etc.

Discussions with whom? If you look at the coru website you'll see that therapists and counsellors are not on the list for regulation.

Yes, psychologists are on the list.

Most CBT therapists have a core profession which is either already statutorily regulated (doctors and nurses- psychiatrists and psychiatric nurses) or will be: Social Workers (psychiatric), Occupational Therapists (mental health) etc.

The Dept of Health or Children I can't remember which one; but it's still on the table though I think it will take years. It's the same with Psychoanalysis, most are psychiatrists, psychologists etc. Stat Res is important for those who don't have other professions’ to fall back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 taracorcoran

please help, im getting worried now as i am sopposed to be starting the ma in cbt in a week.. will it be a complete waste of my time and money?

Im not sure. From what Ive heard its not regulated so anyone could claim they are qualified. Regulation will come in eventually tho so its good to have this course. The reason I didnt sign up was because it costs so much to get someone to supervise you on work exp. Its hard to find work exp in this area also I heard.Maybe ring them up just to confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 taracorcoran

thanks i wonder if they would defer my place on the course for a year as ive realised now that i wudnt be able to afford the course fees as well as the supervisions,, found one at 60 euro per session. thanks fer the advice

• Advertisement

They might coz I know I was told I could defer it one time when I asked. Try it anyway. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭sadie9

Of course they'll allow you to defer it.
    They won't be refusing your money in a year's time, or 2 years time or 3 years time. If you are eligible for the course now, you'll still be eligible in the future.

However if you have paid a booking or admin fee you may have trouble getting that back. So when they say you can defer the course, make sure you can carry this admin fee forward so you don't have to pay it again.

This thread got derailed from its subject early on so I am locking it. If you want to start a new thread about either

deferring course places

or

statutory registration,

please do so. But please keep threads on subject!
    JC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement