Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April 2012

Options
  • 08-08-2011 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hey, I found out im pregnant last week, although not due untill april 2012, but as we had been trying for so long and had just about given up, im ready to explode with excitement and want to tell everyone. Its our first baby too.
    As im only 5 weeks and 5 days, i know its unwise, but I really want to at least tell our parents.
    Would it be ridiculous?? And how long do you think I will have to wait for my first scan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. On both occasions, our parents were the first people we told, but we held off telling anyone else until after 12 weeks. I was just exploding to tell someone, I couldn't have kept such big news from my mum for so long!! and to be honest, I was so sick the first time around I wouldn't have been able to anyway!

Congrats on your great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

We each told 1 close friend when we found out, told family at 8 weeks & everyone else after the 12 week scan. Personal choice, but I was just terrified in case anything happened. Would have held off telling family until 12 weeks too, only my o/h was literally bursting to tell, so I gave in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

We told family at 6 weeks, after I had been to my first doctor pregnancy appointment. Everyone else, we told after the first trimester.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I never really understood the whole "don't tell until after 12 weeks because what if" mentality. If you can't tell your family & friends, and you can't count on their support in the event of something going awry, then what's the point of counting them as friends?

We told everyone immediately after finding out, which meant that the word was spread by about 6 weeks. I told my boss the day after I found out (but only b/c he was trying to buy me St. Paddy's Day drinks) and that would've been around week 5.

The way I see it, if something does go wrong, is it going to be so much worse because you have to tell your family & close friends? If you're already mourning, wouldn't you want their support? This is the same thinking we had in buying everything pre-birth...if I wound up losing the baby I would already be in hell...having a cot in the room would not make me any more sad or make the mourning any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

thanks guys... mixed answers, and im none the wiser :D I understand why I should wait, and I understand how it would be easier if we did tell (in case anything happened). Im very indecisive at the moment!!

And to be honest even tho im 28 and going to be a mother myself, im S**ting myself telling his parents.. My da will be grand he's quite easy going, but his da is very old stock :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the advice ladies.. the help means alot :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Congrats on your pregnancy!!!!

Same here, though approx. 4 weeks at this stage so very very early days.

I understand Ayla's point exactly, that if you tell your nearest & dearest then God forbid if anything happens they'll know & can support you.

On my first pregnancy I waited til I was 8 weeks, went for an early dating scan & handed my parents the scan of their first grandchild. There were tears :D

I told family & some friends at 6 weeks on my second pregnancy. When I had a miscarriage 2 weeks later I found it extremely difficult having to tell people, it was like picking at a sore over and again (I'd told about 10 people from different bits of my life that wouldn't know each other).
    I even found that people didn't congratulate me as much on the second pregnancy, I think it is because some people thought I was telling them too soon as one person did ask me why I didn't wait. :(

So I can see both sides of the argument. The one thing I did like about waiting to tell people was that it was something amazing for my husband and I to share only; once you tell family/friends it becomes their news/their excitement & you're bombarded with questions/well wishes! plus it gave us time to get around the idea of being parents :)

I just discovered that I'm 4 weeks pregnant, as much as I am itching to tell my parents (its my dad's birthday tomorrow, I can't think of a better birthday present for him!) but I'm making us wait til I reach at the very least 8 weeks before I tell family & 12 weeks til I tell everyone else.

The very best of luck with your pregnancy, I may meet you in the pregnancy thread in the future (I'm so superstitious I'm even going anon on here til I'm feeling a bit more confident about the pregnancy)
    I've also been TTC for some time so I think I know exactly how much this means for you. Congrats again!!!

Advertisement