Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weekend break ideas for new non drinker

Options
  • 08-08-2011 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

My partner finally admitted he has a problem with alcohol and want to his first AA meeting last Wednesday. I attended my first Al-Anon meeting on Friday. It has been a long few months getting to this point but for the first time in a long time I have hope.

We have a long standing holiday booking for November which there is obvious concern over as it will be a different type of holiday taking alcohol out of the picture. We are both nervous about how this will work as previous holidays have involved evenings spent in bars, not going mad but having a good time.

Would anyone have any suggestions for a weekend break that would be suitable for an alcoholic in early recovery? I would hope that if we can manage one weekend we would be less nervous about the main holiday. My preference would be for UK or Ireland for cost reasons but I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks,
    TTS

PS we are both early 30's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

I am interested to read any replies on this topic too. I said yes to a wedding abroad before I quit, so now I have a weeks' holiday abroad looming, and I'm also travelling alone. Normally, getting a few drinks in would have 'annulled' at least of a third of that week being half sozzled and another third recovering so this will be a bit different, having so much time on my hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

hubba wrote: »
    I am interested to read any replies on this topic too. I said yes to a wedding abroad before I quit, so now I have a weeks' holiday abroad looming, and I'm also travelling alone. Normally, getting a few drinks in would have 'annulled' at least of a third of that week being half sozzled and another third recovering so this will be a bit different, having so much time on my hands.

Hubba you have to treat the wedding as you would here,As You don't drink so you don't drink, Bring some good books with you,check out whats on in the area your going to,there is always lots to do its just we never seen them as we were always drinking,also it be good to have an exit from the wedding when it all gets a bit to much been around other people drinking,look out for other non drinkers you be surprised how many actually dont drink.Put your plan into action and you will have a geat time.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

My partner finally admitted he has a problem with alcohol and want to his first AA meeting last Wednesday. I attended my first Al-Anon meeting on Friday. It has been a long few months getting to this point but for the first time in a long time I have hope.

We have a long standing holiday booking for November which there is obvious concern over as it will be a different type of holiday taking alcohol out of the picture. We are both nervous about how this will work as previous holidays have involved evenings spent in bars, not going mad but having a good time.

Would anyone have any suggestions for a weekend break that would be suitable for an alcoholic in early recovery? I would hope that if we can manage one weekend we would be less nervous about the main holiday. My preference would be for UK or Ireland for cost reasons but I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks,
    TTS

Timmy The Sheep As hubba but As this is your first sober holiday the support you give to each other is important,so if can talk about it it is well worth while, keeping busy in what you enjoy is a must also bring a few good books you have always wanted to read,As you are going to AA/Al anon it be good to check out the nearest meetings in your area,there is always some going on and in english to,also if you ask people at your next meeting they should be able to help It be nice to have a response to when people or friends ask would you like a drink, For me I have great pride in telling people i don't drink alcohol,You will have a great time and the amount of activities that you can do when not drinking is unbelievable.:-)Plus waking up every morning without feeling crap is unbelievable.

This is an Irish company set up just last year,might be worthwhile to check it out.:)

www.soberholidays.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Thanks realies.

Unfortunately for the weddding I am being held captive! It's on a tiny island and I'm told the boat doesn't return to mainland until 1am. I might see if I can arrange an earlier boat since the wedding starts quite early in the day so everyone else will be polluted by that stage. If it's not possible, I'll just bring a book and disappear for a while because I think I really will get a bit bored with that. I'm not a dancefloor diva either so don't even suggest it!

I did a bit of research since yesterday and found some water activities I might find the courage to do (sea Kayaking). Something I might even follow up with when back in Ireland.

I would only have dreamed of doing Kayaking in my past life, but never taken action. This is what I love about this new life, things HAPPEN. Positive decisions, taken because of newfound courage, however tiny, then lead to bigger and better things. Whereas in my past existance, I deliberately kept everything and everyone at bay, terrified of being discovered and also, just purely unable to function at any level above day-to-day survival level.

So, yes, I'm a little apprehensive about being away alone, and being sober when nearly everyone else is plastered, but big picture, I am looking forward to learning a new way of experiencing both a celebration and a holiday without jeapordising my health, wealth or dignity.

All support welcome though!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

Thanks,
    TTS

Hey,

Best of luck to your partner & you being there as support. Experience for me & friends I know in recovery would be to suggest something that involves fresh air, rural landscape, long drives/walking. I don't know your budget and walking Mountains/lakes/wooded areas doesn't cost much but I remember hiring a boat for a week and going up the Shannon was a great experience. Wakes your senses, improves your palette & refreshes your head, plus getting drunk is the furthest thing from your mind.

Maybe its just because I'm a history buff and love being around ruins :) & nature :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Well done on facing the problem. Hope it goes well.
    I go abroad quite a bit and I always check in with the local meetings. They ground me if I am out of my comfort zone. There are also online meetings if you are isolated.
    The sea kayaking sounds great. Doing things like that make the changes easier to enjoy rather than having to endure.
    The trick with the wedding is to enjoy it and then LEAVE when YOU want to, even if it is just for a walk and some peace and quiet.
    Enjoy.

Advertisement