Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broccoli - what type?

Options
  • 07-08-2011 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been done before but I've looked and cant find anything. I want to sow broccoli for the winter and I'm not sure which type. I want the broccoli type that is in supermarkets. Is this sprouting broccoli or regular broccoli??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The broccoli in the supermarkets is regular broccoli. My experience has been though that sprouting is easier to grow, and I think it is nicer to eat. When you have cut the main head off the big broccoli though you will get side shoots that are rather like sprouting broc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gardenman77

The big head of broccoli we buy in the supermarkets is called Calabrese, and sprouting brocoli is called broccoli. There is a beautiful purple sprouting broccoli available now as well that will really liven up the dinner plate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

LJL wrote: »
    Hi All,

Sorry if this has been done before but I've looked and cant find anything. I want to sow broccoli for the winter and I'm not sure which type. I want the broccoli type that is in supermarkets. Is this sprouting broccoli or regular broccoli??

Its a summer plant, No one sows it in the winter ,late summer sowings can be harvested as late as October if the weather doesn't turn too cold. I don't get your question on sprouting brocolli and normal broccoli? Do you mean purple sprouting broccoli? Its a separate variety, the regular broccoli is called broccoli on the seed packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

I've planted a few Calabrese 2 weeks ago.If the weather is not too bad there should be a couple of heads before November.The slugs had a field day in June with my earlier crop.You have to use slug traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LJL

thanks guys..calabrese is the broccoli type im looking for. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement