Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erasmus Programme

Options
  • 07-08-2011 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, i've been searching around online, looking at the program.
    But i can't really find any answers to a few things.

Do you need to have a minimum gpa to be considered for the programme?

Where are the possible transfer locations?

I'm hoping to do my second semester of the coming year abroad, just to get out of Dublin, i'll worry about the finance and grants later as i'm fairly certain i'm entitled to them.

Edit/ I'm currently a student in ITB blacnhardstown, entering 3rd year of a 4 year BA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

I go to TCD but I'm heading off to Germany in a few weeks on the Erasmus programme. Your college should have an international office or something to help you with your questions, because requirements and approved institutions differ between colleges and even between courses.

I can tell you how I applied anyway. I'm assuming your semester abroad would be optional? Mine is so there were quite high grade requirements. I had to get an overall 2.1 in my first year exams to be allowed to apply and then the same in my second year exams to be permitted to go. I don't study German as part of my course btw.

It will depend on your college where you're allowed to go. I was able to choose between Belgium, France and Germany, but there are lots more possibilities.
    Edit/ I'm currently a student in ITB blacnhardstown, entering 3rd year of a 4 year BA.

That might be a problem... I'm going into third year too but I applied back in February when I was in second year. The best thing for you to do is get in touch with your department (there should be an erasmus coordinator) or the international office. They'll be able to give you more specific advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Thanks, i emailed someone in my college, but just wanted to get speedier information, the closing date for the second semester abroad is november, so i have plenty of time, just wanna research this stuff before i make any long term decisions, but i'll deffo go into the office soon.

Got a reply from my college, turns out only the International business course allows for erasmus transfers.
    That to me seems a bit silly, as the whole point of the program is to have students from all areas and fields experience another culture and way of thinking. Instead of limiting the course, why not just limit the number of applicants from any course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Xios wrote: »
    Got a reply from my college, turns out only the International business course allows for erasmus transfers.
    That to me seems a bit silly, as the whole point of the program is to have students from all areas and fields experience another culture and way of thinking. Instead of limiting the course, why not just limit the number of applicants from any course?

I think it's because they have to have partnerships with colleges abroad, and there has to be an exchange system between the depts. That's been my experience anyway - I went abroad for a year and I study civil engineering, but people in electrical eng for example don't have this option, because the partnership is between the civ eng dept and the engineering school in France.

I think it's because they have to have partnerships with colleges abroad, and there has to be an exchange system between the depts. That's been my experience anyway - I went abroad for a year and I study civil engineering, but people in electrical eng for example don't have this option, because the partnership is between the civ eng dept and the engineering school in France.

Thanks for the reply, and oh how i hate bureaucracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Might be possible to do a masters abroad afterwards or something, not sure if it would interest you but if you really want to study abroad there should be more scope for it by postgrad. It'd be worth asking the erasmus office/head of dept/career guidance anyway.

Also the exchange thing that I went under only got established around 7/8 years ago. They have to know that people would be interested in doing it before they go about setting it up. This bit isn't really for you, it's more for people coming after you, but it might be worth mentioning to your head of dept. If everyone who was interested mentioned it, they might think it worth establishing in the future. The most who ever did what I did was 3 in a year, out of a class of 50+, and they thought it worthwhile for that!

Advertisement