Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can somebody explain all about rooting?

Options
  • 07-08-2011 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, im interested in rooting, but don't have a clue what to do.
    What is s off and s on? And is it even possible for Desire S? I'm lost! Thanks to anybody who can help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

S-OFF stands for security off

From Alpharev website:

HTC implemented security on their newer generation phones. This flag, called @secuflag, controls whether your phone has
    it's NAND or flash unlocked. Most noticeably, S-ON (security on) will read-lock your /system and /recovery partition, to name a few. Also, secuflag controls whether zip files being flashed through recovery or fastboot, are signed by HTC.

The now notorious S-OFF (security off) will disable this NAND security.
    Since we are unable to access the Radio NVRAM itself (where secuflag is stored), we turned our attention to HBOOT.

I have my Desire rooted with S-OFF and got most of my info from the xda forums. A quick look show that S-OFF can be achieved on the Desire S.

Some extra reading:

achieve S-OFF

achieve root

Advertisement