Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anything new coming out, (due an upgrade)

Options
  • 07-08-2011 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

im due my upgrade from this month

i currently have the iphone 3gs, i like the phone and all, but i wouldnt be the biggest apple fanboy, even though i have an ipod, iphone, and macbook pro

i know, that doesnt even make sense, but i think i might like something different.

my mate has the desire s from HTC, but i dont want to look like a queermo and get the same as him,

the other htc, the sensation looks good, but its a big isnt it.

then theres the iphone 4, but in all fairness to that, its basically the 3gs, with a better camera.

is there anything else i should hang on for? im not really in a massive rush, so if i think theres something coming out that will tickle my fancy, i can wait

any help would be great lads and lassies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

im due my upgrade from this month

i currently have the iphone 3gs, i like the phone and all, but i wouldnt be the biggest apple fanboy, even though i have an ipod, iphone, and macbook pro

i know, that doesnt even make sense, but i think i might like something different.

my mate has the desire s from HTC, but i dont want to look like a queermo and get the same as him,

the other htc, the sensation looks good, but its a big isnt it.

then theres the iphone 4, but in all fairness to that, its basically the 3gs, with a better camera.

is there anything else i should hang on for? im not really in a massive rush, so if i think theres something coming out that will tickle my fancy, i can wait

any help would be great lads and lassies

Sensation and Galaxy S2 are bigger handsets than the rest. But you would get uses to it very quick. Unless you have very small hands :)

if ya spend alot of time on the web and playing games the big screen just makes things easier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Sensation and Galaxy S2 are bigger handsets than the rest. But you would get uses to it very quick. Unless you have very small hands :)

if ya spend alot of time on the web and playing games the big screen just makes things easier

i look at the internet alright, but dont play games at all

plus i work in construction and dont fancy having a hefty phone in my pocket

they are slick phones though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

I just switched from the desire to the S2 - you won't regret it. it is BIG but it is damn thin and damn light! better overall footprint than the desire I reckon with more screen real estate. I got used to it very fast :) highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Depends on what you're priorities are.

I have Samsung Galaxy S2 which I think is great, mainly because I enjoy customising it, and the developer community have embraced it (and Samsung doesn't seem to want to restrict them)

Pros
    • Top of the range processor, and likely to stay at the top for the next year
    • Screen is fantastic
    • Light and slim, but well built (this is handy as screen is big)
    • Camera is very good
    • I'm sure there are others I can't think of at the moment
    Cons
    • Price mostly

I've never had an iphone but some people getting this phone after an iphone do mention that the music volume does not go up as high as iphone (tbh I think this may mean that the iphone may have damaged their hearing)
    The other thing is battery life, expect to charge it every day (Same for all android phones though)

Sensation is a good phone too, and I suggest holding working models of both phones as unless you plan on installing custom firmwares, I would say the main difference is going to be how you like the screen and the feel of it in your hand. The other difference is more built in memory in the SGS2

You'll get used to the bigger phone size very quick.

Desire S is a great phone now, but processor is already 18months old and if you're going to keep it for another 18months -ish it'll likely be pretty dated for apps/games/os upgrades by early next year

If you work in construction, make sure you get a case and screen protector (Gorilla glass is far from scratch proof)

ill head down to the 3 shop today and have a play with the S2

i dont mind about the volume being down, i have an ipod for my music, ive never even put one single song on my current iphone, so thats totally irrelevant

i just mainly use the phone as a normal phone, and of course internet browsng,

the lack of flash player on the iphone is a right pain in the arse, hence the move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

well if you aren't in a hurry to upgrade then maybe you should hold out for the new Google Nexus. Looks like a beast and is on the way soon with pure Android Ice Cream Sandwich on board.
    Might be a Samsung or HTC or LG - not sure yet but it will have a pure Android OS on it which means it will get all updates as soon as they are available and will be miles ahead of anything else in the market come expected release November/December.
    Of course there is always something better on the way but thats gadgets for ya. I am going to wait and see what the El Goog brings to us later this year and if I can get my hands on a new Nexus then I will save all my cash for that

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/15/exclusive-google-nexus-4g-detailed-720p-display-4g-lte-android-4-0/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

tui0hcg wrote: »
    well if you aren't in a hurry to upgrade then maybe you should hold out for the new Google Nexus. Looks like a beast and is on the way soon with pure Android Ice Cream Sandwich on board.
    Might be a Samsung or HTC or LG - not sure yet but it will have a pure Android OS on it which means it will get all updates as soon as they are available and will be miles ahead of anything else in the market come expected release November/December.
    Of course there is always something better on the way but thats gadgets for ya. I am going to wait and see what the El Goog brings to us later this year and if I can get my hands on a new Nexus then I will save all my cash for that

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/15/exclusive-google-nexus-4g-detailed-720p-display-4g-lte-android-4-0/

I'd say it won't seen here this side of Christmas, maybe -if you work for google

Zagato wrote: »
    I'd say it won't seen here this side of Christmas, maybe -if you work for google

Ya might be Christmas - but we are getting stuff a lot quicker now and a lot of phones come out here in Europe almost the same time as the US - some even come out before the US.
    Christmas suits me - someone might buy it for me as a stocking filler!

tui0hcg wrote: »

I think if you end up waiting too long, you'll never actually buy one, youll always be waiting for the "next big thing"

Plucks imagine the nexus would come out on vodafone, and I'm with 3

I think if you end up waiting too long, you'll never actually buy one, youll always be waiting for the "next big thing"

True

However I am contract free now for over a year and have a HTC Desire which suits my needs at present so I think I will hold out for 'the next big thing'.
    I will deffo be upgrading but dont want to jump too soon as the Desire is class and nothing wrong with it at the moment.

I also find the Sensation and SGS 2 way too big and find if I cant touch the top of the screen with my thumb while holding the phone in my palm then its too big. So at present I cant find an upgrade worthy enough to pay out for that will be a big advance on my Desire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

i look at the internet alright, but dont play games at all

plus i work in construction and dont fancy having a hefty phone in my pocket

they are slick phones though

If your in the contruction id go for the Desire S and an otterbox case.

Desire S is one of the sturdies phones out there cause of single alluminum shell. + otterbox would be around 30-40 quid but would protect it properly compared to a normal silicon or a leather case

Sensation and Galaxy are good handsets but if i was in the contruction id be looking for the sturdiest handset in the market. Which in my opinion is the Desire S.

I was just down in the 3 store

I had a mess about with the sensation, the galaxy s II, and the Sony experia,

I'd probably like the sensation the most, but the one thing it didn't have was the little "next, previous" buttons that the iPhone does, you know the one when you're entering your name and password, you just press "next" to jump from your screen name to the password box, I know its only a small thing, but it kind of annoyed me

You know what, I think I'll jut hang on until something really tickles my fancy

Advertisement