Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what times can you get the mythical €10 Dublin-Cork train ticket?

Options
  • 06-08-2011 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I often use the trains and recently noticed that tickets weren't costing 20 euro anymore (they'd very rarely ever be 10), so I assumed the promotion was over, but now I see ads again saying Dublin - Cork 10 euro, after checking the next two weeks timetables the cheapest I found was €18.50. Searching the Iarnród Éireann site didn't help much.

Does the 10 euro train ticket still exist, if so, how do I find it? If it can't be found is it a possible case of false advertising?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

You didn't go far enough forward, try from the 23rd onwards. You need to be prepared to reserve a bit far in advance to get them, prices adjust up as the day gets closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I'd suggest a read of this http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/online_tickets.php

No problem find cheap seats if willing to book 10+ days ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the online booking system is no longer much use if your planning a return journey..

i went down home this weekend. up to a few months ago, i would get it got about 40euro online, now its 60 plus 6 for cc, so i bought the ticket in the office for 58....

theyve put up their prices, not as many tickets available at low cost now, f*ckers..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

have to book as far in advance as possible to get the cheapo trains. All saturday tickets are half price too, for the summer. So 5e single adult if you can find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

have to book as far in advance as possible to get the cheapo trains. All saturday tickets are half price too, for the summer. So 5e single adult if you can find it.
    Afaik the online €10 Saturday fares includes the half price discount, I have never seen a €5 online fare for intercity rail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

the online booking system is no longer much use if your planning a return journey..

i went down home this weekend. up to a few months ago, i would get it got about 40euro online, now its 60 plus 6 for cc, so i bought the ticket in the office for 58....

It is worthwhile if your desired train is full-price online to consider buying the ticket in the station.

However, I would recommend using Laser/Visa Debit not credit card, and also note that you can book a cheaper train and change to a later one the same day for a small or even no fee. I've certainly never heard of the end result costing more than the full-price train (but do make sure to officially get changed to a later train at the ticket office).

Zoney wrote: »
    It is worthwhile if your desired train is full-price online to consider buying the ticket in the station.

However, I would recommend using Laser/Visa Debit not credit card, and also note that you can book a cheaper train and change to a later one the same day for a small or even no fee. I've certainly never heard of the end result costing more than the full-price train (but do make sure to officially get changed to a later train at the ticket office).
    There are often mid-week specials and other booking office deals which are cheaper than online fares even those booked weeks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Afaik the online €10 Saturday fares includes the half price discount, I have never seen a €5 online fare for intercity rail.

Incorrect- I've travelled on such 5e fares from Limerick to Dublin :D

1a5a4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

The first train of the day is €10 most of the time be it weekday or weekend depending how far in advance you book. It leaves Cork @ 5.05 in the morning. Thats the only downside, hence the price!

I can get that train in two weeks time for €10

Incorrect- I've travelled on such 5e fares from Limerick to Dublin :D

1a5a4.jpg
    Have you found any €5 fares on the Dublin to cork route? I did a quick search and cheapest I found was €10 but I did not check every train in the next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

No problem get 5 euro to Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

theyve put up their prices, not as many tickets available at low cost now, f*ckers..

But if you booked that weekend trip 4 weeks in advance then you could get it for EUR 20 + booking fee.

I think the point is that people need to adjust their habits and plan ahead if they want the cheap fares.

Looking online now, the 1700 and 2100 on Friday 2 September are EUR 10 each, as are all the afternoon trains from Cork to Dublin on Sunday 4 September.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

lxflyer wrote: »
    But if you booked that weekend trip 4 weeks in advance then you could get it for EUR 20 + booking fee.

I think the point is that people need to adjust their habits and plan ahead if they want the cheap fares.

Looking online now, the 1700 and 2100 on Friday 2 September are EUR 10 each, as are all the afternoon trains from Cork to Dublin on Sunday 4 September.

no matter what way you spin it, they have less cheap seats and more expensive ones, its that simple really.

before you could get €15 tickets that morning of your travel, its virtually impossible now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

no matter what way you spin it, they have less cheap seats and more expensive ones, its that simple really.

before you could get €15 tickets that morning of your travel, its virtually impossible now.

I'm not spinning it at all - the booking system changed and Irish Rail admitted that.

You now need to book in advance to get the cheaper fares.

I don't think there is any spin in that statement.

lxflyer wrote: »
    I'm not spinning it at all - the booking system changed and Irish Rail admitted that.

You now need to book in advance to get the cheaper fares.

I don't think there is any spin in that statement.
    It also seems like there are less cheaper fares and there is also a booking fee and credit card charge which makes buying in the booking office cheaper for many people which is unusual considering Irish rail are trying to push their online bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Yeah it's just **** now. About a year ago I used to be able to book a 10euro train to Cork easily a day or two before travelling. And they usen't to have the charge for laser cards, it used to be free to book with laser. Now I can NEVER see 10euro trains, I do want to book at quite short notice though, plus the charge for laser card means I just get the bus these days. Even though I hate the bus:(

Advertisement