Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DBS -Diploma in Project Management

Options
  • 06-08-2011 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Has anyone done this course in DBS? Would appreciate some feedback and what the fees might be....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Meteorite

I am also looking into a PM course. All the institutions pretty much offer the same syllabus i.e. PMBOK, are there any benefits or advantages studying with DBS, CMI or IPMA?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ottolo

Hi guys,

I'm looking at doing this course starting in February and I'm wondering would anybody have any feedback on the course. I'ts €895 for 10 weeks, 3hrs per week. "The Institute of Commercial Management (ICM)" is the awarding body for the diploma. Are they a reputable organisation?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link for the course:

http://www.independentcolleges.ie/faculty-of-business/project-management

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nedulas

Hey, I don't know if this will be of any benefit but having looked at a few of these courses they all seem pretty much the same, a general introduction to project management. Currently the recognised international certification is the PMP (Project Management Professional) awarded by the PMI (Project Management Institute), check them out online. However to be entitled sit the PMP you have to have
    "A four-year degree (bachelor’s or the global equivalent) and at least three years of project management experience, with 4,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education OR A secondary diploma (high school or the global equivalent) with at least five years of project management experience, with 7,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education."

So a lot of people won't have that but they offer an introductory level award, the CAPM (Certified Associate of Project Management). As far as I can see all the courses the various colleges are offering would only be preparing you for this level of award. I know DBS have 2 follow on courses after this with the third one offering "Incorporating preparation for the Project Management Institute (PMI) Project Management Professional (PMP) certification examination"

Anyway, this is all preamble. While I don't know your circumstances basically screw the €895, Fás are offering the PMI CAPM online for nothing if you qualify.

And if you don't, its €85.

I'd definitely look at this option, as far as I can see it offers the same and more than the various private colleges in terms of material. And while I'm sure the ICM (Institute of Commercial Management) and DBS are reputable colleges the PMI grants an internationally recognised qualification at the end.

Thanks a million. That was really helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nedulas

No problem

• Advertisement

Just to follow up. I took this course in Independent Colleges and it was a disaster.

Seriously disappointed after paying €895 for the course. Standard of lectures and lecture material was very poor.

My advice would be to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chrisr

Im looking into doing a project management course in DBS and m wondering has anyone done this and what their view on this course are.

Thanks

I haven't done the Project Management course in DBS but I did take the one in Independent Colleges last February. My advice would be to avoid doing the course there anyway. I paid 900 euro and it was a complete waste of time. The lecturer was way below standard.

I know this isn't much help with your research of the DBS course but just don't want anyone else to get caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Hi, I did the project management course in DBS in January and I have to say I found it great. Killian was our tutor and we got loads of notes etc. the course was run very well. I was quite anxious starting the course as I had not been in a "class" situation in years but we all got on great and the staff in DBS are good. I did well in the course the only downside was the cost of the graduation (€85) which I thought was a bit steep. Overall a very good course which I now apply to my current job. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

Hi, just came across this thead. does anyone else have feedback on this? im stuck between a PRince 2 course with Sureskills and this course. Any recommendations?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 dragon100

Has anyone completed the Selling and Sales Management at DBS....any info would be much appreciated....

Advertisement