Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda cars

Options
  • 06-08-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

I have a Garda neighbour and friend who is a big guy. Every now and again I see him in a miniature Garda car (looks like a Nissan Micra or Ford Fiesta or similar), and he and a colleague are in it. I am big enough and couldn't fit comfortably in to one of those things, but he is a fair bit larger than I.

I haven't discussed it with him, but I do wonder -- can't we afford real cars other than sardine cans for the Gardai or is it just a station run-about? The idea of him doing a "hot pursuit" in that with his chin rubbing on the steering wheel and his knees in his pockets boggles my mind!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Are you in a rural or urban area. Small garda cars make sense in an urban area for about 90% of Garda duties i would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Ford Fiesta. There only a run around. Pretty nippy though. Best to have someone in the passenger seat to even the car out on the hard corners. Learned that one just in time!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Usually find these in com-pol units in the cities, or small country sub stations, which wouldn't be manned 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

cursai wrote: »
    Ford Fiesta. There only a run around. Pretty nippy though. Best to have someone in the passenger seat to even the car out on the hard corners. Learned that one just in time!:)

Now there's a thought. The last time I saw him in one of those little cars he was driving it but the guy in the passenger seat was much smaller. Therefore, I assume that he would have to consider left turns much more carefully than right ones due to the effects of centrifugal force. I might seek research funding for the ballistics of Garda cars!

ART6 wrote: »
    Now there's a thought. The last time I saw him in one of those little cars he was driving it but the guy in the passenger seat was much smaller. Therefore, I assume that he would have to consider left turns much more carefully than right ones due to the effects of centrifugal force. I might seek research funding for the ballistics of Garda cars!

Its even worse with a prisoner in the back! Weight ratio is everywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Its even worse with a prisoner in the back! Weight ratio is everywhere!

Presumably you have to be careful about the size of prisoners you put in the back? I mean, surely you can't just arrest whoever? A size limit according to your car perhaps? Or do Garda cars have some sort of compression mechanism in the back? And in a little car like that, if you have a desperate crook in the back, how do you know he won't get you by the throat as soon as you move off? There obviously isn't any sort of screen between you? I wonder that if you are issued with a Micra you wouldn't have anywhere to put a prisoner other than in the boot?

OK, I am being a little factious here, and no disrespect is meant, but I am genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Saw a ford fiesta unmarked car tearing up Dame Street yesterday,was waiting to cross at the lights and could hear the siren but I couldn't figure out which car was the Garda car til it drove through on the other side of the road,four big lads in uniform squashed into it aswell.

Remember in the early 00's in Clondalkin they used to have a clapped out looking 87-D peugeot 306,would always catch the local gougers out!

Recall getting lifts to school with my uncle in a crappy unmarked Fiat Punto aswell,he did let me mess with the siren tho I spose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Or do Garda cars have some sort of compression mechanism in the back? And in a little car like that, if you have a desperate crook in the back, how do you know he won't get you by the throat as soon as you move off?

Do you think the State would pay for fancy add ons like that?
    Didn't even happen in the good times!

You don't know if they'll kick up, but anyone who is, you'd normally wait for a van if one is available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Recall getting lifts to school with my uncle in a crappy unmarked Fiat Punto aswell,he did let me mess with the siren tho I spose!

There was one around my area not that long ago, haven't seen it in a while though. :D

And in a little car like that, if you have a desperate crook in the back, how do you know he won't get you by the throat as soon as you move off?

Because of some fancy inventions called handcuffs. No prisoner gets into my car without being cuffed behind their back, then they're put into the rear passenger side and strapped in with a seatbelt so they can't get at the driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

source wrote: »
    Because of some fancy inventions called handcuffs. No prisoner gets into my car without being cuffed behind their back, then they're put into the rear passenger side and strapped in with a seatbelt so they can't get at the driver.

Doesn't prevent you from being kicked in the head!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MissEmcee

infacteh wrote: »
    Doesn't prevent you from being kicked in the head!

Or trying to headbut you as you fasten his seatbelt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Cage trucks or vans are the only way to go they can do what they like back there.

Because two guards dont carry endless sets of handcuffs all prisoners cant be handcuffed in the back. And anyone with handcuffs can open their seatbelt.
    Was in a situation recently where myself and another lad had three prisoners and two handcuffs. the third prisoner kept opening his window and opening the door from the outside....whilst we were moving. had to wait half and hour on the side of the road outside someones house for the second car to drop off their load and come back and take one from us. All of this shouting and roaring happening outside someones front gate. Late at night!

Zambia wrote: »
    Cage trucks or vans are the only way to go they can do what they like back there.
    We lost our van recently when it was sent to the local Ford Dealers for fixing they reported it to the transport section cos of rust and other damage. They claimed it wasn't worth repairing. Absolute joke. Desperately needed. Now prisoners are transported to prison every court day in taxis, a forty kilometre journey. At the cost of the state! MADNESS

Because two guards dont carry endless sets of handcuffs all prisoners cant be handcuffed in the back. And anyone with handcuffs can open their seatbelt.
    Was in a situation recently where myself and another lad had three prisoners and two handcuffs. the third prisoner kept opening his window and opening the door from the outside....whilst we were moving. had to wait half and hour on the side of the road outside someones house for the second car to drop off their load and come back and take one from us. All of this shouting and roaring happening outside someones front gate. Late at night!

Well imlucky enough to work in a city centre station where we always have an observer and a large number of other cars in the area. Safety always cones first, transporting more than one prisoner in 1 car is just stupidity, the situations we get into are sometimes not ideal, but i wont get into a car while outnumbered by gous.

1 prisoner per car or load up the van, its not rocket science.

Also buy another pair of cuffs......we shouldnt have to but if carrying 2 pairs of cuffs makes it more likely that i make it home then the cost is worth it.

Well imlucky enough to work in a city centre station where we always have an observer and a large number of other cars in the area. Safety always cones first, transporting more than one prisoner in 1 car is just stupidity, the situations we get into are sometimes not ideal, but i wont get into a car while outnumbered by gous.

1 prisoner per car or load up the van, its not rocket science.

Also buy another pair of cuffs......we shouldnt have to but if carrying 2 pairs of cuffs makes it more likely that i make it home then the cost is worth it.
    You ate working somewhere better funded. unfortunately in the area I work in. There are a lot of village festivals. A long travel time and lack of personnel. Different working situations. Sacrifice a have to be made to get the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

We lost our van recently when it was sent to the local Ford Dealers for fixing they reported it to the transport section cos of rust and other damage. They claimed it wasn't worth repairing. Absolute joke. Desperately needed. Now prisoners are transported to prison every court day in taxis, a forty kilometre journey. At the cost of the state! MADNESS

The way things are at the moment, I would have thought that the garage would have been only too glad to carry out whatever repair work was necessary.
    I mean it was not to their benefit that you lads lost your wagon, I wonder were they expecting the transport section to buy a new van directly from them.
    It does not work like that, so any chance of a new one? A Toyota perhaps, remember the Hiaces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mercedes vito vans make excellent cage vans.

Advertisement