Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

white spots on mint leaves

Options
  • 06-08-2011 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi,

I planted this spring some mint. The leaves were nicely green but suddenly white spots started to appear on the leaves.
    I have noticed similar spots on a parsley plant.

Any idea of what this could be? See pic attached

Cheers

pj

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gardenman77

This could be leafhopper insects that are causing this. They are small aphid like insects, difficult to see. They feed on the leaves and empty the cells of the contents giving them a distinctly mottled appearance.
    Any control for aphids would do the job, e.g. water and washing up liquid.

See similar damage on site below:
    http://www.hdc.org.uk/herbs/page.asp?id=3[/URL]

If you could post a close up of the leaf I could say for sure.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gardening-Cured/121518484610150

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pjuegos

Thanks for your post gardenman77,

It was really useful indeed. I think that you are right with your veridict. The link you included was very good also. As requested, I attach another picture of a mint leaf.

I also include a picture of a parsley plant leaves, which is located just next to the mint plant in my garden. I see some infection symptoms in there also.

I am not sure if this is related at all, but the leaves of a plum tree in the garden have also some kind of degradation/infection. Could this be related? see pics attached

In terms of the solution you were suggesting; washing up liquid + water. Do I mix that up and spray? Can the damaged plants be treated and healed? Or should this be done as a prevention method for plants with no symptons also?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gardenman77

Yeah mix it up and spray it on them. It won't fix the damaged leaves but it will stop any new leaves being damaged by killing the insects on it. SB Plant Invigorator would be a better way of ensuring insect death. It isn't an insecticide and is safe to use.
    The cherry is something different. Difficult to say, but it could be one of several factors. It is most likely insect damage such as caterpillars or even earwigs. They are known to eat these leaves. Wind earlier in the season could also have caused this.

Is it on the older leaves only or the younger leaves aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pjuegos

Any idea of the proportion of washing up liquid/water?

Regarding the plum tree; I planted it 2 springs ago and similar things happen last year with the leaves...

It happens in both young and old leaves I think. Something that stroke me a bit is that one branch has white stains... see pic attached...

thanks for your help!!!

Advertisement