Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

basil plant living more than a year?

Options
  • 06-08-2011 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all,

Last year I planted a basil plant and it died. At least that is what i thought.
    The plant was in a pot outside. However, i took a look of the plant after coming back from holidays and it looks really alive to me!

I thought basil plants were annual. I am quite new to gardening and I am really confused... Does this make any sense to you? See pic attached.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

pjuegos wrote: »
    Hi all,

Last year I planted a basil plant and it died. At least that is what i thought.
    The plant was in a pot outside. However, i took a look of the plant after coming back from holidays and it looks really alive to me!

I thought basil plants were annual. I am quite new to gardening and I am really confused... Does this make any sense to you? See pic attached.

Thanks!!!
    That is a bit odd alright: they are annuals. When you say you planted it out last year, do you mean it survived last winter? It must have survived cryogenically so :p
    It seems to be flowering now, it will probably die back afterwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did it set seed last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pjuegos

i know. it does not make any sense.

I planted them from seed last year. that was before last winter...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It might have set seed as mentioned and this could be a new plant from new seed

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pjuegos

yes, as magicbastarder mentioned, that is probably what happened

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

pjuegos wrote: »
    i know. it does not make any sense.

I planted them from seed last year. that was before last winter...
    More than likely a seed didn't germinate last year and somehow decided it would come to life this year - amazing to think the frosts of last winter didn't toast it.

Advertisement