Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish translation?

Options
  • 06-08-2011 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

I found out that the name Fionúir is irish for ''white ghost''. Well okay fionn ''fair/white'' is understandable but the second part?

I cannot phantom why it wouldn't be a name like taibshebán or púcabán
    (of course these probably have spelling mistakes or bad grammar, I just randomly made them up )

You can see how Rúadhán would mean ''red haired'' alright, so what's up with fionúir?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

When you say that you found it out, I interpret that as meaning that somebody said so: that does not mean that it is correct.

Fionn-fhuar means "cool".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

whelpy wrote: »
    I found out that the name Fionúir is irish for ''white ghost''. Well okay fionn ''fair/white'' is understandable but the second part?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

(of course these probably have spelling mistakes or bad grammar, I just randomly made them up )

You can see how Rúadhán would mean ''red haired'' alright, so what's up with fionúir?

I'm assuming that Fionúir is some modernised phonetic spelling for Fionnabhair. This in old irish was written as: Findaḃair/Finnaḃair

This name literally means "White Enchantress/ghost" and is cognate with the Welsh Gwenhwyfar (Guinevere)

IPA for Finnabhair according to wiki is: [ˈfʲɪn̪əuɾʲ] I'm not sure where the fada on the U would come from in that since.

Either way you are looking at an ancient name. Findaḃair is the daughter of Meḋḃ (Maeve) and features in the Táin. Given the age you can't expect the modern rules of Irish to hold up when it comes to word formation etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

I found the name on numerous irish name website, see for yourself.

Yeah I deliberately threw in the phantom, respect for the paranormal ''fist pump'' :D

Thanks for the thorough info on the name dubhthach

I found the name on numerous irish name website, see for yourself.

Yeah I deliberately threw in the phantom, respect for the paranormal ''fist pump'' :D

Thanks for the thorough info on the name dubhthach

The real problem I find with websites is often the use extremely archaic versions of names. And of course they don't provide a pronunciation guide. For example I came across one page where someone who was called Findabhair pronounced it as: Fin-dah-vhar

Of course problem here is it doesn't actually respect the real syllabel boundaries. Find is of course the older version of Finn

Alot of names up of course even when in "Modern-Irish" are in pre-Caighdáin versions. So though Irish people tend to understand that internal dh/gh mighten be pronounced Americans unfortunately don't know this.

Ordhan versus Oran for example. Funnily enough I see Dubhthach up as a name on some of these baby-name sites. Why anyone would give their child a name that dates ancient I don't know (Dubhthach is a character in the Táin -- as well as name later used during 4-10th century, Ó Dubhthaigh = Duffy)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

dubhthach wrote: »
    The real problem I find with websites is often the use extremely archaic versions of names. And of course they don't provide a pronunciation guide. For example I came across one page where someone who was called Findabhair pronounced it as: Fin-dah-vhar

Of course problem here is it doesn't actually respect the real syllabel boundaries. Find is of course the older version of Finn

Alot of names up of course even when in "Modern-Irish" are in pre-Caighdáin versions. So though Irish people tend to understand that internal dh/gh mighten be pronounced Americans unfortunately don't know this.

[Ordhan versus Oran for example. Funnily enough I see Dubhthach up as a name on some of these baby-name sites. Why anyone would give their child a name that dates ancient I don't know (Dubhthach is a character in the Táin -- as well as name later used during 4-10th century, Ó Dubhthaigh = Duffy)

I probably can't pronounce the dh/gh either, given the state of irish teaching.
    The icelandics manage to maintain their native tongue as well as learning english, perhaps somebody should go over and see how they do it......how about you:p

I'll have to check out the Táin, probable the graphic novel from Cló Mhaigh Eo. Was he a Druid by any chance?

I probably can't pronounce the dh/gh either, given the state of irish teaching.
    The icelandics manage to maintain their native tongue as well as learning english, perhaps somebody should go over and see how they do it......how about you:p

I'll have to check out the Táin, probable the graphic novel from Cló Mhaigh Eo. Was he a Druid by any chance?

Well word internal dh/gh is generally silent, though they tend to mark syllabel boundaries. Of course most of them were removed with the Caighdáin was adopted in the 1950's.

As for Dubhthach in the Táin well you find him under Dubthach Dóeltenga (Bettle-tongue literally "Black Tongue" due to his cycnicism). He's one of the Ulster exiles with Fergus in the service of Meḋḃ

Though his nickname is down as Daoldulach in this version from the 1930's:
    http://www.folkplanet.com/seanchlo/ruraiocht/ru29.html

"Duḃṫaċ Daoldulaċ" (Dubhthach of Black braids/locks)

Advertisement