Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Irish banks recognise English bankruptcies?

Options
  • 06-08-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone settle an argument for me?

Do Irish banks have to recognise all forms of English bankruptcies if a debtor declares an Irish debt? Specifically 'debt relief order' (DRO) insolvency which was introduced in England and Wales a few years ago.

I say they do, but a friend of mine reckons they might hold off during the one year DRO period but will then resume chasing after it has been discharged OR they will wait until the person moves back to Ireland before launching court proceedings against them?

Can't find anything concrete online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fordpefect

interesting question,j have a friend wh0 is considering this route of action,but it appears a grey area to me

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

eth0_ wrote: »
    I say they do, but a friend of mine reckons they might hold off during the one year DRO period but will then resume chasing after it has been discharged OR they will wait until the person moves back to Ireland before launching court proceedings against them?

At this point without some case law on the subject it is difficult to say, some legal advisors seem to thing so, but I have my doubts. The EU rules on recognition of foreign bankruptcies states that in the case of property and entries in a public registry the jurisdiction remains with the court where the property or registry is held, meaning an Irish court in this case.

So as the say it is all to play for

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 33,347 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

On a slightly related issue, I am paid in NI/UK and when I was applying for a mortgage this year in RoI I had to get the bank a credit report from the UK to prove I wasn't hiding any dodgy past history in the North wrt debt.

Advertisement