Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Carmack At QuakeCon 2011

Options
  • 06-08-2011 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭

Here's John Carmack delivering his keynote speech at this year's QuakeCon.

He goes into great depth at the amount of work they had to do to get Rage working on the 360 & PS3 plus it really shows their limitations when he breaks it down. He also expresses his frustration at how they have extra work put on them to essentially find suitable methods of running their game at a good level on consoles when PC hardware is "10 times as powerful" (That being said, he still says dealing with various PC drivers / hardware can be a bitch)

It's 1hr26mins long but I enjoyed it and thought somebody might be interested. Really shows the huge amount of work that goes into creating an engine, showing it off and then releasing it to the public.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Cant believe i just listened to that entire thing.. very interesting tho. You can tell John is super passionate about developing games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

They should have turned off all the lights and lit him with a small torch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

so the ps3 version is a no no and xbox 360/pc is the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

so the ps3 version is a no no and xbox 360/pc is the way to go?

I wouldn't say so, they've said a few times that both PS3 and Xbox versions will run at a solid 60fps and look identical with the games lead designer even saying a few months ago that the PS3 version is even running smoother than the 360 version at this stage. I'd say if you have a good PC then that would diffo be the way to go, especially since they'll be release mod tools and stuff soon after release.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

all Id games should be played on PC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

LOL, I like how he is told "Good luck" by Todd. He looked pretty nervous walking up. He could fart the alphabet though and that crowd would lap it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Talk about unflattering youtube stills!

Zombies are so 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

He's such a smart guy. I've learned so much from his code and his attitude is so refreshing compared to "rockstar" developers mouthing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Don't forget the further 90 minutes he spent on Q&A afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

all ID games should be played on PC.

Fixed :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement