Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV

Options
  • 05-08-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking for a solar PV panel to power two outdoor lanterns. They will be probably be powered by two 75W energy saving light bulbs and work on a dusk till dawn sensor
    Can anyone advise me the best solar panel for this application and
    where to purchase it

http://www.maplin.co.uk/10w-solar-panel-kit-96897 i was thinking something like this but i'm sure there are cheaper places than Maplin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

Do-more wrote: »

Is the 10W good enough for what i want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Dj wrote: »
    Do-more wrote: »

Is the 10W good enough for what i want?
    10W output to power two 75W bulbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

You need a PV, charge controller and battery to do this. The size of PV and battery depends on how long the light is going to be in use during midwinter. The charge controller is to prevent you frying the batteries when you have too much power in the summer time.

Say you estimate you will need 60 minutes of light in mid-winter, that will be 0.15 kw hrs per day, plus 25% for battery losses.

The rub is that when you need most light in winter, you get the least power. A 1kw array of panels (100 of those wee Maplin ones...) will give you about 10Kw Hrs in December, or about two hours per night for your lights.

Based on that, a 10w panel as described would give you about 1.2 minutes of lighting per night in midwinter.

Those panels are €8 per watt. You should be able to get larger panels for about €1.80 per watt if you shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

You need a PV, charge controller and battery to do this. The size of PV and battery depends on how long the light is going to be in use during midwinter. The charge controller is to prevent you frying the batteries when you have too much power in the summer time.

Say you estimate you will need 60 minutes of light in mid-winter, that will be 0.15 kw hrs per day, plus 25% for battery losses.

The rub is that when you need most light in winter, you get the least power. A 1kw array of panels (100 of those wee Maplin ones...) will give you about 10Kw Hrs in December, or about two hours per night for your lights.

Based on that, a 10w panel as described would give you about 1.2 minutes of lighting per night in midwinter.

Those panels are €8 per watt. You should be able to get larger panels for about €1.80 per watt if you shop around.

Many Thanks, Quentingargan
    Thats exactly the advise I was looking for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement