Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance learning health psych

Options
  • 05-08-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi there,

Would love to get some opinions....

I am considering a Masters in Health Psychology.

Something that never occured to me was distance learning...

What would be the diffence between doing Msc Health Psych in University of Ulster (distance learning)
    http://prospectus.ulster.ac.uk/course/?id=9170#Assessment
    and say the Health Psychology Masters in NUIG (non distance learning)?

For example,
    Would it make a difference when being considered for a Clinical or Counselling doctorate?

Would love to get some people's opinions in general.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

The University of Ulster one is accredited by the BPS, what is the current status of the NUI Galway one with the PSI? I recall that it wasn't accredited there a while ago for some reason. Neither should make that much of a difference to getting onto counselling psychology, and I imagine they would have equal status for getting onto clinical if the PSI recognise Galway's one.

Is health psychology the best Masters for you to do if you are looking to get into a different area of psychology than health psychology? As I said I wouldn't think it would be a great help for counselling psychology, and I would imagine a research Masters would be more helpful for clinical.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mgerallen

Interesting point hostpur!

I always thought any masters one did (within reason obviously) would give be of value when applying for either clinical or counselling.

I thought health psychology would be relevant to both and offer a more diverse candidate.

Advertisement