Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyu Aquarium help please

Options
  • 05-08-2011 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    We got my dad a Boyu tank 80l a few weeks ago for his birthday and three goldfish to start off with. Problem now is 2 have "passed away" and now the water has become very murky.
    The leaflet with the tank is next to useless and i am hoping someone who has one of these (http://mizuworld.com/index.php/product/detail/1210) who may be able to tell me the following:
    1. I have the water level about 1 inch above the bottom of the water filter grill in the rear left corner of the tank. When i put food in it basically gets sucked straight in!
    2. The glass is getting very murky, does this mean the automatic filter system is not working (obviously you probably say). I havent done anything with it and left it as it came in the box (i.e. left the different bags as they were in the second area at the back of the tank)

I would really appreciate any assistance as i am not very good with this it looks!
    Cheers,
    Gibo

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Well, couple of things I'm afraid.

First off, the tank is too small for 3 goldfish.

Secondly, it sounds like the tank wasn't cycled - cycling is essential before putting fish in a tank, as fish produce waste in the form of ammonia, which can slowly poison them over time, so the bacteria that convert the ammonia to nitrite then to less harmful nitrAte need time to build up in the filter sponges.

I'd suggest changing out 50% of the water as soon as possible, and refill with treated water (using a water conditioner such as stress coat or nutrafin aqua or prime or whatever).

You'll need to get yourself a water testing kit, so you can tell what levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are in the water.

The ideal is ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrates less than 40.

Just keep doing daily water changes til you get those levels.

How are you cleaning the tank and doing water changes? When you say you left the filter as it came in the box, did you follow the instructions for taking the sponges etc out of the packets and putting them in the filter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

looks like a terrible expensive tank - probably best people stay well clear of them.

1) The fish died because the tank is more than likely 'not cycled'

2) Gold fish are extremely messy so the filter probably not strong enough or clogged

3) Lift the lid and feed the fish on the otherside of the tank away from the filter

4) Merky glass is caused by having the tank in direct sunlight and/or the light be left on all the time

5) Merky water usually happens when the stuff in the tank isnt cleaned properly like the stones an ornments

6) Reading the ad are you sure that theres a filter on the tank? sound likes its just a water pump

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Silverfish wrote: »
    Well, couple of things I'm afraid.

First off, the tank is too small for 3 goldfish.

Secondly, it sounds like the tank wasn't cycled - cycling is essential before putting fish in a tank, as fish produce waste in the form of ammonia, which can slowly poison them over time, so the bacteria that convert the ammonia to nitrite then to less harmful nitrAte need time to build up in the filter sponges.

I'd suggest changing out 50% of the water as soon as possible, and refill with treated water (using a water conditioner such as stress coat or nutrafin aqua or prime or whatever).

You'll need to get yourself a water testing kit, so you can tell what levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are in the water.

The ideal is ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrates less than 40.

Just keep doing daily water changes til you get those levels.

How are you cleaning the tank and doing water changes? When you say you left the filter as it came in the box, did you follow the instructions for taking the sponges etc out of the packets and putting them in the filter?
    Silverfish/Oranage2, thanks for the response guys!.
    First, i must have linked to the wrong tank, this is more like it http://www.boyuaquarium.com/en_ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=348 but it is 80l and i was told in two fish stores that this would hold way more than 3 goldfish so apologies on this score.
    I do think you have a point about the cycling though, i was given some pretty bad advice from someone that once i put in the nutrafin aqua and leave for 10 mins that this would be fine, seemingly not! Ill tell him to take your advice and switch 50% of the water ASAP and add more nutrafin aqua. If i get the remaining fish out for 24/48 hours would this be enough time for cycling?

Im not! i was told that this built in system in this tank does this and there was no need for manual water changes. all the filters are already set up with no packaging except some of the charcoal which is in a net bad and looks like it should stay in it!
    I called Seahorse Aquariums about the food and the guy there said i should get a food catcher to stop the food going to the filter as this happens no matter where you put it in the tank, he said this was quite common so hopefully this resolved this!
    I will also pick up a water testing kit, the idea of buying this particular tank was minimum maintenance needed... hmmm
    4) Merky glass is caused by having the tank in direct sunlight and/or the light be left on all the time
    Nope, its in a corner with loads of light but definitely no direct sun light

5) Merky water usually happens when the stuff in the tank isnt cleaned properly like the stones an ornments
    I cleaned the gravel with a sieve and the rock feature, hopefully i got it good and clean but maybe not so much?? However this did take three weeks to start getting murky...
    Anyway cheers for the advice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

No matter how fancy your filtration system is, you still need to do weekly manual water changes, unfortunately. I've a 300L tank here with an external filter that turns over 1500L an hour, AND an internal filter, I still need to do water changes weekly!

Your best bet now is change 50% of the water now, and 20% daily, your tank will be cycling already with the fish in it, so I wouldn't take the remaining fish out at this stage, it will need an ammonia source to cycle so the fish will be doing that, if it's not cycled already. Takes 6 weeks, so it's either done or nearly done by now.

So I'd say the reason is just water changes. Goldfish poo a lot, so that will all be sitting on the gravel so a gravel syphon is a handy thing to have, sucks up all the debris from the gravel while syphoning the water out, so removes the water and cleans the gravel in one step.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Silverfish wrote: »
    No matter how fancy your filtration system is, you still need to do weekly manual water changes, unfortunately. I've a 300L tank here with an external filter that turns over 1500L an hour, AND an internal filter, I still need to do water changes weekly!

Your best bet now is change 50% of the water now, and 20% daily, your tank will be cycling already with the fish in it, so I wouldn't take the remaining fish out at this stage, it will need an ammonia source to cycle so the fish will be doing that, if it's not cycled already. Takes 6 weeks, so it's either done or nearly done by now.

So I'd say the reason is just water changes. Goldfish poo a lot, so that will all be sitting on the gravel so a gravel syphon is a handy thing to have, sucks up all the debris from the gravel while syphoning the water out, so removes the water and cleans the gravel in one step.
    Live and learn! Brilliant thanks Silverfish, looks like i have a new task on visits to the folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Hi OP,
    I turn off the pumps while I'm feeding and then just plug them back in when I'm done.
    Cycling takes much longer than a few hours I'm afraid. I think mine took a month give or take.
    I've never heard of a tank that doesn't need manual water changes but I could be wrong? Are you sure you read that correctly in the information with the tank.
    Also, definitely get the test kits as the other poster recommended.

Have a look at this website for all your fish related needs!
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com

Advertisement