Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cosmos to get a sequel hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Options
  • 05-08-2011 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

(Mods if this would fit more in the television forum please move it, I'm posting here because I thought people in this forum might be more interested.)

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/08/cosmos-to-get-a-sequel-hosted-by-neil-degrasse-tyson/
    by Matt Blum
    Over three decades later, Carl Sagan’s groundbreaking, brilliant 13-part TV series Cosmos:A Personal Voyage is finally going to get a sequel. Cosmos, which originally aired in 1980 and was rerun many times over the following decade, is widely regarded as one of the first, and best, TV shows to make science accessible to everyone. You can watch the show now on Hulu, but despite its brilliance it is still a show from over 30 years ago, and you can tell — the special effects are primitive by today’s standards, but more importantly some of the content has been superseded by discoveries in the intervening years.

So I think we can all agree it’s high time someone made a sequel to it, and now someone is! In partnership with Sagan’s colleagues Ann Druyan (who is also his widow) and Steven Soter, Seth MacFarlane — yes, that Seth MacFarlane — is going to produce a new 13-part series to serve as a sequel and modern update to Sagan’s masterpiece. Taking over the hosting duties will be none other than well-known astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, who has among other things served as host of NOVA ScienceNOW on PBS for the past five years, so has plenty of experience making science accessible to the general public. It would be difficult to think of anyone who would be better able to succeed the late, great Carl Sagan. The folks working on it are going to take their time and do it right — it’s not scheduled to air until sometime in 2013.

(more at link)

IMO this program did so much to fuel an interest in science and exploration. I'm so glad to see this news. Wish it was coming out sooner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

In my opinion DeGrasse Tyson is perfect for this role. Why RTE don't show any of his shows is beyond me.

Also, Briane Greene's Fabric of the Cosmos airs this November on PBS. That's looking promising too.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I loved Cosmos, It changed my life:) Still love watching it over and over again:)
    Looking forward to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Later in the article they mention one scary thing, which is that this program will be airing on FOX during prime time. On the one hand - more exposure! On the other - they've axed some pretty good shows in the past without really giving them a chance.

I really hope it goes well. I agree that he's the perfect choice for this, just love that guy. :)

Are they showing Wonders of the Universe with Brian Cox there? That's another good one, IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Later in the article they mention one scary thing, which is that this program will be airing on FOX during prime time. On the one hand - more exposure! On the other - they've axed some pretty good shows in the past without really giving them a chance.

I really hope it goes well. I agree that he's the perfect choice for this, just love that guy. :)

Are they showing Wonders of the Universe with Brian Cox there? That's another good one, IMO.
    FOX:eek: Ahhhhhh................run away, what a scourge on humanity they are:mad: However maybe it will inspire some of the rednecks who love the channel:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Hah, well fortunately their "news" branch is well separated from their entertainment division, so they'll be free of the vile sickness that infects their so-called news. This will be put on by the same folks that brought us The Simpsons, Futurama, etc. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Posted this in pop sci, might as well post it here.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Posted this in pop sci, might as well post it here.

:DAlways loved that clip:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

NDGT is no Sagan, I've watched interviews with him and he's boring and rather cranky.

RichieC wrote: »
    NDGT is no Sagan, I've watched interviews with him and he's boring and rather cranky.
    You know I agree. I always felt he can be way up his own ho1e at times. Nobody can repeat or replace what Carl Sagan done with Cosmos but it is time to update it. I hope itis done well and reaches out to a new generation of young people. Nothing ever effected me as much as watching Cosmos as a young teenager. I still love it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm hoping there might be people here that are as excited about this as I am: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/08/cosmos-to-get-a-sequel-hosted-by-neil-degrasse-tyson/

Carl Sagan is dead, and that sucks, but if I had to pick one person on this planet to take his place it would be DeGrasse Tyson. Seth MacFarlane of Family Guy fame is also involved, which is quite random but he's actually very smart...not to mention rich and well-connected! Ann Druyan is also involved, who is not only Sagan's widow, but was also involved in making Cosmos and is a formidable science populariser in her own right.

I literally gasped when I read the headline, so excited!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 141 ✭✭moomooman

This is great news! :D

I bought Cosmos on DVD not long ago, love it. I think Ann Druyan co-wrote it, she did an update for the first disc of the box set where she talks about the impact of the show and addresses the number of discoveries since the show was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Neil Degrasse Tyson is possibly the most charismatic speaker, on any subject, that I have ever seen. A lot of his material, he repeats, but he is so sharp and his responses to questions are so quick and witty. Incredibly intelligent, realistic and down to earth (pardon the pun) guy. Cant wait to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Donegal Skies

Is it just me or does anyone else think Michio Kaku would do a much better job than Neil Degrasse Tyson on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Is it just me or does anyone else think Michio Kaku would do a much better job than Neil Degrasse Tyson on this one?
    I agree with that one. Even on 'The Universe' show I much prefer Michio Kaku over Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Advertisement