Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Fort Lorenzo upmarket?

Options
  • 05-08-2011 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi people,

Lately I've seen a good few apartments/houses advertised in Fort Lorenzo (Cuan-na-Cuille for instance). The prices are just a bit lower than Salthill or even Taylors Hill. However I remember running (as in doing sports) in the area and seeing a lot of students (or at least noisy young people) in the area (back in 2008).

Would you say that Fort Lorenzo is quiet area for families and "mature" professionals,

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Upmarket !!!!!! you will get noisey kids in any estate no matter where it is, something you learn to live with its part of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 julio_delg

Sure I understand what you mean. But for instance Dun na corribe looks very nice, but it is no go for any adult. I lived in Limerick (no go all around) and worked close to the university, and you wouldn't believe how students would behave, taking the furniture to the gardens in good weather, emptying the bins in the neighbor's garden.......

So my question is, is Fort Lorenzo mid-class area, as some of the nice states in Taylor's hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It's mixed imo. Yeah wouldn't be as student heavy as some, but a lot of those Rahoon to Knocknacarra to Taylors Hill are very mixed. There are middlin posh, student, rent allowance, and other breakdowns in most of those estates and complexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a nice family area imo.
    Very convenient location.

Cuan-na-Cuille flats are very "boxy" imo, not very cosy.

I kind of know the area, but always passed in a rush :) (running), heading to Salthill through Threadneedle road. Now I'm comming back to Galway, and I am trying to figure out where will myself and my wife fit better.

Thanks for the opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

julio_delg wrote: »
    Sure I understand what you mean. But for instance Dun na corribe looks very nice, but it is no go for any adult. I lived in Limerick (no go all around) and worked close to the university, and you wouldn't believe how students would behave, taking the furniture to the gardens in good weather, emptying the bins in the neighbor's garden.......

So my question is, is Fort Lorenzo mid-class area, as some of the nice states in Taylor's hill?
    WTF are you talking about?

Very sweeping statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Cuan na Coille is a nice enough area and there is not so many students living there. The apartments though are not great. Myself and the girlfriend have just moved out of there because the place we were in was damp, and the sewers stink a bit. There is very little insulation in those apts too I fear. But the area itself is good and like Biko said its very convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Sorry to hijack your thread Julio but what is Doughiska like?

Been looking at some apartments there and they seem nice and reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I don't know how upmarket it is, had a friend living in one and it seemed rather noisy at the time, this was two years ago but there were some amount of dogs always barking and students (mature ones but nonetheless without a vested interest) renting next door. Regarding Doughiska, lots of break-ins but cheaper than most places. I'm a wee bit biased but we live in my parents old house on Newcastle Rd and I love this part of the city, we walk into town and it's really settled. Moyola Park (the side near the college) is lovely, as are the estates on the way out to Moycullen. Failing that some parts of Shantalla and Mervue are lovely (old Galway) Not keen on Knocknacarra, huge problem with teenagers in some estates (not all!) who are left to graze and run wild, my friend and her husband now rent their house out there as was too loud at night, sad but true. I always recommend driving to an area at night and sussing it out for yourself, we all have varying opinions on areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

If you're being a snob and want an address with a certain cachet, then Taylor's Hill, Salthill, Kingston, or perhaps- to a lesser degree- even Barna and Bushypark would be the places to look at.

Salthill would also have a lot of older residents.

There are some quiet estates in Knocknacarra which are better value than the above and which are inhabited by older professionals - Clybaun Heights, Seacrest, Rusheen Woods, for instance.

Most estates built over 20 years ago in Knocknacarra are very quiet and as trouble-free as you'll get and can offer a nice quality of life.

Gaeilgegrinds also pointed out that there are some nice residential areas in Newcastle. These would be even closer to town again. However I don't know enough about them to identify any relatively student-free estate.

I wouldn't fancy Fort Lorenzo myself as the houses are tiny and too close to trouble spots a bit down the road in Rahoon.

I'd be more interested in quality of life myself than in an "upmarket" address.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I have to start one of these threads soon..
    Where do normal people live?

OP you should start a thread in the Limerick Cty forum telling its residents that it's a "no-go" area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

snubbleste wrote: »
    OP you should start a thread in the Limerick Cty forum telling its residents that it's a "no-go" area.
    Go on. I dare ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fort Lorenzo - uphill, yes. Upmarket - meh....

Doughiska: too hard to answer. There are some mighty big estates off the very long road, and it would be very different to live in An Sean Bhaille (which the guards visit a lot), Coil Tire (which lots of guards live in) and Merlin Lane (back entrance to Merlin Park hospital by day, quiet country of lane by night, mostly detatched houses ) is vastly different. That's just naming three of the most extreme examples, there are lots more. None of it's bad. Some places just suit some people better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Furniture in the garden, whatever next? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't fancy Fort Lorenzo myself as the houses are tiny and too close to trouble spots a bit down the road in Rahoon.

Where exactly do you mean when you say 'trouble spots'?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Trouble spots ?? I live in the area and I never heard of trouble spots, jez the things people say about different areas of Galway amuses me no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

Chicken1 wrote: »
    Trouble spots ?? I live in the area and I never heard of trouble spots, jez the things people say about different areas of Galway amuses me no end.

'Westside' is nearby and is known as a problem area as there is much local authority housing around which can lead to a lot of supposed "sc****gs" hanging around. However, I have friends and close relations living there their whole lives and have never had any bother, nor have I.

Fort Lorenzo is a nice spot wish I could afford to live there :p

Snacker wrote: »
    Chicken1 wrote: »

'Westside' is nearby and is known as a problem area as there is much local authority housing around which can lead to a lot of supposed "sc****gs" hanging around. However, I have friends and close relations living there their whole lives and have never had any bother, nor have I.

Fort Lorenzo is a nice spot wish I could afford to live there :p

Doubleglaze mentioned a couple of trouble spots in Rahoon, not Westside.

And for the most part, yes, Westside is also grand.

I don't know how upmarket it is, had a friend living in one and it seemed rather noisy at the time, this was two years ago but there were some amount of dogs always barking and students (mature ones but nonetheless without a vested interest) renting next door. Regarding Doughiska, lots of break-ins but cheaper than most places. I'm a wee bit biased but we live in my parents old house on Newcastle Rd and I love this part of the city, we walk into town and it's really settled. Moyola Park (the side near the college) is lovely, as are the estates on the way out to Moycullen. Failing that some parts of Shantalla and Mervue are lovely (old Galway) Not keen on Knocknacarra, huge problem with teenagers in some estates (not all!) who are left to graze and run wild, my friend and her husband now rent their house out there as was too loud at night, sad but true. I always recommend driving to an area at night and sussing it out for yourself, we all have varying opinions on areas.

I'm really surprised about what you say regarding Knocknacarra. Your post really sounds like the opposite of what I usually read here. Anyway it is a good and sensible advice, that of driving around the different areas.

Thanks

I think I'll not dare do that :). In my life I've lived in different countries and cities, and the one I felt more unsafe by far was Limerick. That is my experience in which my opinion is based. I don't mean any offence of course, but tracksuits horses, and people trying to steal my bicycle are not my cup of tea...

• Advertisement

Well, thanks to everyone, your opinions and information are of much help.

:)

I think I'll not dare do that :). In my life I've lived in different countries and cities, and the one I felt more unsafe by far was Limerick. That is my experience in which my opinion is based. I don't mean any offence of course, but tracksuits horses, and people trying to steal my bicycle are not my cup of tea...

I saw a man jogging in a track suit AND a horse and cart today on TAYLORS HILL!

Careful now...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

inisboffin wrote: »

A lot of people from Galway when they refer to Rahoon mean Westside, which itself is a colloquialism for the council estates of Newcastle, as the old flats were called Rahoon Park and the bus stop was called Rahoon.

For the most part Westside is grand, the newer Westside estates built on the sites of both sets of flats seem to be the worst of them at the moment, both of which are quite close to Fort Lorenzo as it happens.

Also, before anyone decides to take offence, I'm from a council estate in Newcastle.

SparKing wrote: »

A lot of people from Galway when they refer to Rahoon mean Westside, which itself is a colloquialism for the council estates of Newcastle, as the old flats were called Rahoon Park and the bus stop was called Rahoon.

For the most part Westside is grand, the newer Westside estates built on the sites of both sets of flats seem to be the worst of them at the moment, both of which are quite close to Fort Lorenzo as it happens.

Also, before anyone decides to take offence, I'm from a council estate in Newcastle.

Anything Salthill side of the pitch is Rahoon, not Westside. Same as it always was, even in the days of the flats.
    I assume you're referring to Currach BuÃ* an Glen Dara?

Sure there's at least 3 or 4 estates in the middle.

Currach BuÃ* has it's moments, mostly kids running amok... but I really don't know which other place is seen as a 'trouble spot' in Rahoon, that's why I was curious and asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

Westside and Rahoon are practically the same thing no need to be getting smart about it.

Fort Lorenzo is 800m from 'Westside' pitch, and 'Rahoon' is sandwiched in between so surely I'm not being too crazy in considering them to be roughly the 'same' area.

Snacker wrote: »

Westside and Rahoon are practically the same thing no need to be getting smart about it.

Fort Lorenzo is 800m from 'Westside' pitch, and 'Rahoon' is sandwiched in between so surely I'm not being too crazy in considering them to be roughly the 'same' area.

Chill. I'm not being 'smart' about it. My original comment / question was to Doubleglaze, yet you took it upon yourself to answer it.

You inferred that a lot of people from Galway didn't know the difference between Rahoon/Newcastle/Westside, and I was disagreeing.

There are resedential areas between Currach Bui and Fort Lorenzo. In fact, I don't even know what areas of Rahoon doubleglaze meant, that's why I asked. The rest was your assumption.

Rahoon is a big area, it was once a parish (see hilarious but overdone threads about Dunnes of Rahoon vs Dunnes of Knocknacarra)

any hood beside another hood could also be called practically the same thing. Or roughly the same thing, but not the same thing..
    I was just asking a question!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ehem!!

Fort L could be cheaper than certain estates because the landlords bought in years ago and can afford to discount rents unlike landlords in newer estates.

It is not downmarket and it is not as upmarket as the residents who call it Taylors hill _think_ it is either.

It IS the most southerly part of Rahoon and always was :D

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

I assume you're referring to Currach BuÃ* an Glen Dara?

Corrach Buí yes
    Gleann Dara no
    I was thinking of Droim Chaoin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Gaeilgegrinds also pointed out that there are some nice residential areas in Newcastle. These would be even closer to town again. However I don't know enough about them to identify any relatively student-free estate.

Not being smart, but I don't think that exists in Newcastle. It's too near the college. But it's a lovely place to live, close to everything - until dark when the parties start.

There's a house in Newcastle in the Advertiser at the mo - €465,000. Really amazing looking house, actually. But my mate lived in the house next door, and it's a 13 - BED student house.

Bet that's not on the brochure! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Certain areas of Newcastle have lots of parties but my cousin is in Dangan and it's so quiet. I think you must mean nearer the college. Most students seem to live in the student villages these days, only bad week she said was Rag Week and that was only realy bad in Hazel Park and below there. Regarding anywhere I think gg's advice is sound, drive there late and see what happens of a Friday or Saturday night!

Advertisement