Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

refused by hostel

Options
  • 05-08-2011 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hi guys, wondering what the law is about booking hostel rooms and being refused? a group of us were going to waterford for pride and were booking a hostel but got refused after she took the deposit, her reason for refusing was because she didnt want children!! thing is we are all 22-23 there was only like 5 of us and we are a quiet enough crowd
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I hope she refunded the deposit?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Did you have children with you :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This to me sounds like discrimination because of your age.

Id imagine the Equality Authority would be interested to hear about your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

amdublin wrote: »
    This to me sounds like discrimination because of your age.

No - I think he might suspect something else too. He is going to Waterford for PRIDE.

I'd get your deposit back and find somewhere else to stay. It will be her financial loss - no doubt she bemoans the recession every other day too!

si_guru wrote: »
    No - I think he might suspect something else too.

He he is going to Waterford for PRIDE.

Oh I had seen that but hadn't thought about it.

Well I imagine the Equality Authority would be even more interested in this case so - discrimination on two fronts?? But one of them she has openly admitted to.

Jaysis fair play to her turning away business during Pride. Surely all business was the same business ie. Turn this group away, I assume next group were the same....unless she took no bookings at all.

Op - get on to the Equality Authority imo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP, did she know you were booking the hostel for pride by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭wayfarers

Cabaal wrote: »
    OP, did she know you were booking the hostel for pride by any chance?

Yes that's a good point- and if she was aware then she clearly is a bigot. I'd certainly report her if I were you OP. I don't get why people are saying ''how can she turn down business during a recession'', as anyone knows money isn't going to convince someone to overlook their prejudices. Name and shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

wayfarers wrote: »
    Name and shame.
    Please don't do this, as you may get boards.ie into trouble as at the current time the true reason for the refusal is unknown.

She may have double booked the room by accident for all we know.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wayfarers wrote: »
    Yes that's a good point- and if she was aware then she clearly is a bigot. I'd certainly report her if I were you OP. I don't get why people are saying ''how can she turn down business during a recession'', as anyone knows money isn't going to convince someone to overlook their prejudices. Name and shame.

Its possible she may have had an issue with the OP and his/her friends attending pride but we're somewhat speculating here,

However if it was the case she used their age as an excuse instead of stating she had an issue with their sexual orientation.

She perhaps may have thought that this was a loophole given the previous B&B that did this and lost in court in the UK - see http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/gay-couple-win-bed-and-breakfast-snub-case-2187347.html I believe there has also been a case like this in Ireland as well previously.

However claiming they were children when they were over 18 is discrimination regardless and even on the basis of age the OP would have a valid case imho.

If you bring sexual orientation into it they have a more serious case in my eyes however its hard to prove this one as its more speculation.

If as the_syco explained she double booked then she should have simply told the OP this.

I would suggest a written complaint to the hostel outlining the issue and ask them to respond with the reason in writing for why they were refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yeman

although its pride, we are all straight with the exception of 2 lesbians, i think the booking was done over the phone, i was not the one who booked i was just told we could not stay there and have to find somewhere else, we are not really going down for pride, we are from kilkenny and go to college in WIT so we go down n go out there sometimes, the 2 lesbian girls go to all the pride events and say how great they are and how there are tonnes of straight people there also so we said we would give it ago, we were only going down to go out in waterford that night. i dont think she over booked, her reason was because she wouldnt take a group of kids nothing else.... this could easily be discrimination against the LGBT community as its PRIDE and we didn't inform her what our sexuality was so she could easily presume gay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I think the Experience is similar though when you ring a Hotel and say your attending a stag.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hostel in Waterford City or County?

The children thing makes no sense anyway, and a hostel attracts a younger crowd more so anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Five people isn't a large group at all
    But it's not uncommon for hotels and hostels to turn down business if they suspect it's a hen or stag.
    And people just accept it

So just because Pride is going on you can't assume it's discrimination and saying the owner is prejudiced like post eight

but like dont people usually book a hostel and go out during that night?? like i dont drink much, one of the other girls drives so wont drink n we are students with not alot of money so cant really get drunk anyway, because she turned us down the only other hostel that we could get is in tramore and is 25% more expesive, add taxi fee's or petrol onto that most of us have now pulled out and cannot afford to go, including myself.

the hostel is in the city near the fitzwilton/guinness brewery, im not naming it but some of ye might know it. its still discrimination the fact that we are children to her?? we are all responsible adults who work and go to college

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

But... surely it is simply a misunderstanding?
    She has given you one reason, which does not apply. If you set it straight, at that point she will either accept your booking, or give you another reason?

This is the point where she either has a valid reason or not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Re-book under another name and just say your going down on a small break. Don't mention gay pride, or a special event. Say your going to go surfing in Tramore. If she refuses you still, fair enough she doesn't want young people in her hostel. Whether she can do that or not, I am not sure, but its not really that big of a deal. Book a hotel, travelodge, or B&B.

well her exact words to my friend were : "we wont take a group of kids" i'm probably going to send a letter asking for a valid explination once i talk to the others. looking at their website they encourage groups and friends to stay. the 2 girls are the only ones going down now and they have another hostel booked in tramore

yeman wrote: »
    well her exact words to my friend were : "we wont take a group of kids" i'm probably going to send a letter asking for a valid explination once i talk to the others. looking at their website they encourage groups and friends to stay.

She probably choose her words wrong. A small gathering of youths could cause grief, and have done in the past in local accommodation providers. Your the age bracket where she may feel uncomfortable taking you. Unless you try explain you are all respectful bunch of people, have no interest in getting hammered and causing trouble etc. assuming that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

yeman wrote: »
    but like dont people usually book a hostel and go out during that night?? like i dont drink much, one of the other girls drives so wont drink n we are students with not alot of money so cant really get drunk anyway, because she turned us down the only other hostel that we could get is in tramore and is 25% more expesive, add taxi fee's or petrol onto that most of us have now pulled out and cannot afford to go, including myself.

Honestly I had the same problem going to a Stag, Pride is the same, everyone parties hard and has a great time (its on in Amsterdam this weekend too :) )

On the Stag I just said I was there for a Golf Tournament, better to say conference though, they suss you out when you turn up with no Golf Clubs :D

I think unless you go down the legal route you dont have many options, although you could try to get one of the others to ring up and book and when asked say your there to visit family.

• Advertisement
Advertisement