Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WNDR3700 and DGND3700 wireless bridge

Options
  • 05-08-2011 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey All,

Here is my setup. I have a ReadyNas connected to a DGND3700 on stock firmware in my hall. The DGND3700 is my gateway router using ADSL.

I have a WNDR3700 in another room on the other side of the house.

This is what I want to do:

Setup a dedicated bridge between the DGND3700 and WNDR3700 on the 5.0GHz band (no clients on this band) to allow clients on the WNDR3700 to access the ReadyNas and internet.

Use the 2.4Ghz band on the DGND3700 for wireless clients on that side of the house and use the 2.4Ghz band on the WNDR3700 for the wireless clients on the other side of the house.

I'm having issues using WDS on the 5.0GHz band between the two routers with both on stock firmware.

I want to put dd-wrt firmware on the WNDR3700 and setup Client Bridge to the DGND3700 on the 5.0Ghz band and use the 2.4Ghz band as an access point.

Summary:

Internet > DGND3700 (stock firmware) > 2.4Ghz clients & wired clients

Internet > DGND3700 (stock firmware) > 5Ghz client bridge > WNDR3700 (dd-wrt firmware) > 2.4Ghz clients & wired clients

Has anyone tried something like this and does it work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

I have done something similar but not with that specific hardware.

Firstly, are you sure the two APs can see each other over 5Ghz with its poorer building penetration over 2.4Ghz and secondly with WDS not being a standard do the DD-WRT and Netgear firmware interoperate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 on0r1a

Thanks for the reply zeris. I got it up and running over the weekend with much effort. I didn't want to use WDS as it has a number of drawbacks, including only supporting WEP in the Netgear Implimtation, so limiting the connection to 802.11g (54Mb/s). Some routers and manufacturers get around this by using their own version of WDS, but it isn't ideal.

I now have the WNDR3700v1 running dd-wrt firmware connecting to the DGND3700 on the 5.0Ghz band as a client bridge. The WNDR3700 is also using the 2.4Ghz band as an AP.

My final setup has the DGND3700 and WNDR3700v1 about 7 meters apart and going through 2 walls.

I am getting about 12MB/s (96Mb/s) throughput from a wired client on the WNDR3700 going over the 5.0Ghz bridge to the DGND3700 to a ReadyNas.

I am getting about 5MB/s (40Mb/s) throughput from a wireless client on the WNDR3700's 2.4Ghz band going over the 5.0Ghz bridge to the DGND3700 to a ReadyNas.

A few tips:

1. Dont use the 17201 dd-wrt firmware with a WNDR3700v1, it bricked my unit (twice in fact. I thought it was my fault the first time) and I needed to restore the Netgear firmware onto it using tftp. Instead I got it running using the 16994 firmware which can be found here:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/05-08-11-r16994/

Instructions for installing dd-wrt on WNDR3700:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700

2. Use WPA2-PSK AES encryption. This is the ONLY encryption supported by the 802.11n standard. You will not get full speeds if you dont use it.

3. Make sure WMM is enabled on both routers.

Advertisement