Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collic drops...Infacol or colief??

Options
  • 05-08-2011 5:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi, my boy is 6weeks old and suffers from quite bad wind, he has been hard to get wind up on since day one. I started using the infacol drops which i found did help somewhat, but he still has difficulty with his wind so i was thinking of trying the colief drops but was wondering has anyone tried them, are they good? Or has anyone found a difference whether good or bad between them and the infacol drops? There is quite a price difference between the two, with the infacol priced at 5.50 approx, and the colief priced at 15.50 approx so i dont want to go out and buy the colief with out trying to find out if it is useful or any better than the infacol! So please give me your opinions on this! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Is he being breast or formula fed? Also how long have you been trying the infacol? It might take a week or so to show any real difference. Also the type of bottles you use (if bottle feeding) or the mothers diet (if breast feeding) can sometimes be the cause of bad wind in babies.

My daughter used to get very bad wind in the early evening (she was combined fed) for 2/3 hours and we used the infacol drops. They did help somewhat but eventually we moved her off the aptamil and onto Cow & Gate which did the trick. She rarely gets wind now.

There are also specific 'comfort' formula feeds which are supposed to reduce wind and colic, but you should consult your GP or PHN before you change their food.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

He is bottle fed,, been using the drops for about 4weeks. Im using the avent bottles but dont find them great as u can see the air going into them!@ i bought the Dr.browns bottles but they dont fit in my steriliser so haven't started using them yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Have you got the right number teat on the bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I would get some Milton tablets and use those to steralise the dr. Brown bottles and try those. I have heard great reports about the anti colic ones. Give that a few days and I there is no improvement I would definitely look into changing the formula he is on. But as said before ask your PHN for the best way to go about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

We used Infacol...I never noticed it doing any good to be honest, but each baby is different they say :D But when s/he is on the changing table if you straighten and bend his knees, kind of like cycling a bike ie straighten one while bending the other....I found that really helped him get that nasty wind out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

The colief drops will break down the lactose in the milk and needs to be put in a few hours before you need the bottle .. our lad has trouble with dairy and we had to use the drops and gavisgon in his bottles (he had silent reflux too) 2 drops up to 4 hours before you need it or 4 drops i think a half hour beforehand. Infacol i think is more to bring up wind or ease the pain (i'm not really sure) but the colief drops are a completely different thing. Make sure he's not lying to far back when he's drinking the bottle sit him as upright as is comfortable, it helps them not suck in as much air. . ;)
    Good luck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

We got the colief drops and found little difference and it was a pain in the ass trying to make bottles.

We got Dr. Browns bottles and no success either then we changed her food from cow and gate to Aptamil comfort for coliciy babies. You need to get number 2 teats for these btw.

We are using the Infacol now before her feed with the tommy tippee bottles on number 2 teats using aptamil comfort and shes perfect and drinking a way more bottle aswell and no hiccups or colic...:)

Thats my 2 cents..

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Im using the number two teats now, was using the number ones and found he was sucking very hard and gulping thebottle down, spoke to doc at two week check about that and about his wind and she said to change the teats, not the food. Im actually going for his six week check up on Mon so i will ask about it then again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

I didn't find any of them much use. I used bio ghaia pro biotic drops and found them really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned good old GRIPE WATER!! It is fab and works really well. The theory is that it joins all the air bubbles into one big one and then this explodes out and up comes all the air! It also warms the tummy as a comfort. They stopped selling it over here a long while ago because the original had a touch of alcohol (?) in, but I have heard you may be able to get it somewhere over here. I got mine from the UK (last lot in 2009 for about £3 a bottle) with no alcohol in btw! Hopefully you know someone who could get you some, or ask around.

I did try the Infacol and it was ok, but the Gripewater was way more effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

^^^ gripe water was our saviour for the first 11 weeks. It works almost immediately. We got it up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

-Corkie- wrote: »
    We got the colief drops and found little difference and it was a pain in the ass trying to make bottles.

That's the difference ;) .. the colief is to break down the lactose in the milk... has no effect on pain whatsoever.. the infacol will relieve wind symptoms. .
    I think the closest place you can get gripe water is Newry...unless you find a chemist with old stock. . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

cbyrd wrote: »
    That's the difference ;) .. the colief is to break down the lactose in the milk... has no effect on pain whatsoever.. the infacol will relieve wind symptoms. .
    I think the closest place you can get gripe water is Newry...unless you find a chemist with old stock. . :)

Funnily enough I got 3 bottles of it yesterday of a truck driver that goes to the UK daily..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fabberella

if ur lookin for gripe water in ireland alot of the Asian shops sells it!! most supermarkets dnt for some strange reason... if ur in dublin there is an asian shop on mary street near pennys, beside axa insurance head office that sells it... my personal opinion gripe water works better than any of them colic drops...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

+1 on Gripe water it's worth the trip ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

yup gripe water works very well worth the trip up north for a few bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Gripe water is the only thing that works!!! You can get it in Supervalu now. Lifesaver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

no supervalue I have been in has it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭pennypitstop

Lactease infant drops worked brilliantly for me. And after a while when we reduced the drops to one per bottle or skipped putting drops in every 2nd bottle (as recommended) the wind problem returned.
    Still put 2 drops into every bottle and have very content baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 boredofblackroc

I know this is an old thread, but Colief worked really well for us. It doesn't treat the "wind", it treats cause, that a lots of babies are to varying degrees lactose intolerant, and the enzyme in Colief breaks down the lactose (in cow's milk, formula, or breast milk). Adults can be lactose intolerant too - which is where Milkaid can help if you are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

+ 1 for gripe water. It's your only man. I used every thing and it's mother before the gripe water too. Colief is a pain in the rear, skip it and go straight for a low lactose formula like cow and gate comfort if you're going that route (although it's very hard to get at the moment). And do try the dr browns bottles. They really do reduce the wind. That's my 2 cents anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dublinhurler

There is a few places around to get gripe water the Asian places are best nearly all have it. +1 on gripe water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Love colief - makes a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dublinhurler

Another thing I found worked very well was fennel tea.

Advertisement