Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IS 1000 VOLT ELECTRICAL CABLE MADE FROM COPPER?

Options
  • 05-08-2011 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I have a length of 1000 volt elictrical cable weighing about 20 kg. I assumed it would be copper inside. Rang a scrap dealer who offers 5 euro per kg for bare copper so i started to strip the wire. It doesn't like copper as it's a silvery grey colour. I think it might be alluminium. the cable comprised of four very heavy strands of metal, each roughly 1.5 cm thick and individually wrapped in blue, brown, yellow/green and black plastic. the outer casing is black PVC with '600-1000 volt elictrical cable' embossed on the side. Is it copper or alluminium and what price should I expect to get for it as scrap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If its copper it will be copper coloured, like a 1 or 2 cent coin. Aluminium will be silver/grey looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 theboybrown

Thanks robbie. I'll ring scrap dealer and see if that's worth anything.

Advertisement