Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlimited GFX- Greatest advancement in gaming ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I remember when this crowd came along a while ago stating this stuff and vanished.

I can't see it working now, at this moment. While it would be a great step to be rid of polygons this method would be a complete nightmare on today's consumer hardware. Then there's the whole thing of companies getting used to the engine and animating with it (which I don't think this engine can at the moment)

I'm not sold by it, it looks nice (the trees and rocks, anyways) but it's still years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Cautiously optimistic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

crysis didnt render the roots of trees because it doesn't matter at all for gameplay and no one notices it.

I find it hard to get excited about having infinite detailed tree roots if the game is still shite.

for all we know this whole presentation could have been prerendered on a 486 3D package.

source code or GFTO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

In other new Steorn have finally released their perpetual motion device and provided unlimited energy for the world and Jesus has had his second coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Saw Notch discussing this in his blog the other day. Theres supposed to be a lot of drawbacks with it that they dont seem to mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,901 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Saw Notch discussing this in his blog the other day. Theres supposed to be a lot of drawbacks with it that they dont seem to mention.
    Thats putting it bluntly, he labeled it a hoax.

Personally I thought it was apparent and obvious from the overly annoying australian guy doing the narration. He even has that air of sarcasm, on top of his already thick accent.

I don't believe that what they have is functional, and that what they show is entirely pre-rendered. The 'company' offers no explanation as to how this quantum leap in performance could even be feasible. I don't doubt the ability to model it, but I'd dare them to come out to an E3 and let people explore the virtual environment in Real Time - but that won't happen. I'd say they spent the entire time in silence rendering the scene they displayed in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

There's also no animation/movement in the video and I heard it mentioned somewhere that all the rendered objects are facing the one direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's impressive, but I'd say that it'd be one thing using some rendered version running on a highly powered development desktop/server, and another entirely using it in-game, where their endless repetition of the same elements would not stand up, and where you've a lot of animation and a lot of different elements moving around in the environment, not to mention collision detection. Also, I'd hope they work on their lighting for the next demo video, as everything seemed to be lit with global light, very little shadowing etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

veXual wrote: »
    There's also no animation/movement in the video and I heard it mentioned somewhere that all the rendered objects are facing the one direction?

Heard that animation was an issue for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its snake oil, just don't ask me to prove it :p

Massive repetition of models and textures, no animation, no interactivity of any kind and dodgy narrator that piles on the hyperbole. Just screams everything is not as it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

It's a type of voxel engine, nothing new and lots of people are working on similar stuff. It's got advantages but also tonnes of disadvantages.

id Tech have been talking for some years about incorporating sparse voxel octrees into their next engine. They key word is 'incorporating'.

Advertisement