Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OnLive CEO claims Distributed-Input-Distributed Output faster wireless networks

Options
  • 04-08-2011 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

Creator of OnLive streaming gaming service and the Quicktime codec claims to have invented DIDO wireless for faster wireless networking.
    At first glance, there would seem to be a number of obvious DIDO RAN (radio access network) architectural similarities to current 4G techniques: MIMO (multiple input multiple output), pico/femto cells, and cloud-based RAN to name a few. A key to the DIDO system is to use the cloud, or a remote signal processing data center, to tune the signals that each radio head transmits based on the location and number of other DIDO transmitters in a particular area. By doing so, according to the Technology Review article, Perlman claims to have come up with a "new kind of wireless network" with thousands of times the capacity of a conventional network. By combining signals from multiple transmitters, the DIDO technique is claimed to be capable of creating "a bubble of crystal-clear reception around every user". The Technology Review did point out one possible downside - DIDO doesn't work for upload.

How creating separate, apparently localized, channels in this manner could increase the capacity of available spectrum is (no pun intended) unclear. Support for non-stationary receivers would also appear to be a huge issue. The technique also requires dedicated private spectrum, so it can't be used to fix congestion in WiFi hotspots. It would appear that the invention actually needs to avoid interference that is not of its own making, not exactly a viable real-world proposition.

More details in article available here:
    http://www.eedailynews.com/2011/08/wireless-inventors-hype-dido-no-not.html

I have to say I was a skeptic of OnLive but it works okay (not great and certainly not the revolution this guy claimed as lag is an issue and very clearly an issue in driving games).

So I remain skeptical as these claims but don't know enough about it to be as skeptical as I should be I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Fake Snake oil.

There was an article on the "The Register" too. Either he is ignorant or deliberately misleading in his white paper.

Onlive is NOT DIDO.

It's doubtful that it provides more than 1% to 10% extra capacity per spectrum, without MIMO and essentially having a separate WiFi point for each user. It's no use for Mobile and already outdoor Fixed Wireless can do about x8 capacity of Mobile.
    thousands of times
    is completely bogus.

Also as envisaged, it would need massive fibre broadband infrastructure and dedicated spectrum.

Advertisement