Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help...

Options
  • 04-08-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

My father is planning on giving me his tank, i plan on starting a community tank.

But i have tons of questions

The tank has been in the house for about 6-7 years and has been used for both cold water and tropical fish, its currently being used for cold water fish if i was to start a tropical community when i get the tank would it have to be cycled again?

I plan on getting a betta, any tips on best fish to live with betta?

And i prefer the look of sand to the pebbles is there any main differences and benefits of either?

The tank is 3 and a bit foot, by just under 1 and a half foot.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

moltisanti wrote: »
    would it have to be cycled again?

No. Do get your water tested before adding new fish though. I'd also stock fairly slowly as you will lose bacteria in your filter when the cold water fish are removed.
    plan on getting a betta, any tips on best fish to live with betta?

There are very few fish that will not nip bettas. If you really want to keep one stick with the likes of platties, mollies etc.
    i prefer the look of sand to the pebbles is there any main differences and benefits of either?

There are different types of aquarium sand some of which will affect your water chemistry. Silica and riverbed sand are ph neutral while coral sand will buffer you alkalinity and ph.

Gravel will do a better job of catching and hiding all the detritus that builds up in tanks. It tends to just sit on top of the sand which is no bad thing as it encourages you to clean it. If you do go with sand don't put in a very deep layer, about an inch is plenty. Also move it about every couple of weeks to keep it from compacting as dangerous gasses can build up over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 moltisanti

Thanks cameron poe

getting the water tested is this a kit i could get in a pet shop??

as for what i was going for i planed for the betta and then just one large group of other fish such as neon tetra's would that be a no go should i stick to the platties, mollies?? any other fish in this category?

i think ill stick with the gravel untill im more experienced with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

You can buy a test kit in most shops which I would recommend. It's generally a good idea to test your water regularly in a new tank. Most shops will do it for you as well.

You should be ok with neons. Check out different species of rasboras and danios for other suitable tank mates. You may end up with a particularly violent fighter though so there's no guarantee he won't just murder anything small.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How big is the tank?

If there's fish in the tank then it's more than likely cycled but test the water like the previous poster said.

Also what you gonna do with the cold water fish?

And bettas do best on their own with a low current - they like to hide so maybe get a cave and a few ornaments/plants

• Registered Users Posts: 18 moltisanti

Oranage2 wrote: »
    How big is the tank?

If there's fish in the tank then it's more than likely cycled but test the water like the previous poster said.

Also what you gonna do with the cold water fish?

And bettas do best on their own with a low current - they like to hide so maybe get a cave and a few ornaments/plants

hi orange2,

my dad's friend is taking them off him.

and the tank is 3ft by 1.5ft

• Advertisement
Advertisement