Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPSI Santa Specials (Dublin)

Options
  • 04-08-2011 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭

Just to let you guys know, 7 of the 12 Dublin Santa specials are now sold out. Anybody wishing to travel is advised to book now to avoid disappointment. The booking form can be found here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

All these trains are now sold out. Must be a record even by Santa Special standards!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Niles wrote: »
    All these trains are now sold out. Must be a record even by Santa Special standards!

I know! All they have to do now is to tell Santa he's booked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but does anyone know if there's a forum or contact in case of cancellations? I only found out about these trains recently, and it'd make our young lad's year.

[He's obsessed by the way - only 4-and-a-half he'll wake up in the middle of the night asking obscure questions about railways!]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but does anyone know if there's a forum or contact in case of cancellations? I only found out about these trains recently, and it'd make our young lad's year.

[He's obsessed by the way - only 4-and-a-half he'll wake up in the middle of the night asking obscure questions about railways!]

Call 01-4800553. This number is for Dublin area ticket enquires only, best to call during office hours. I am not sure if the people at that number can help or not. If they can't post back here and I will see if there is some cancellation list.

It's probably a bit out of reach for you, but the RPSI also run Santa trains out of Belfast, see http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/events/ . At the time of writing they're not on sale but you subscribe to email updates on that webpage, or just check every so often.

As I said it's probably a bit far but I've heard of people travelling from who couldn't get tickets for the Dublin-Maynooth trains travelling from Dublin for these so just throwing it out there as a possibility.

• Advertisement

Niles wrote: »
    It's probably a bit out of reach for you, but the RPSI also run Santa trains out of Belfast, see http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/events/ . At the time of writing they're not on sale but you subscribe to email updates on that webpage, or just check every so often.

As I said it's probably a bit far but I've heard of people travelling from who couldn't get tickets for the Dublin-Maynooth trains travelling from Dublin for these so just throwing it out there as a possibility.

There are also Santa Specials on the Downpatrick and Co Down Railway. While they are also a good drive away from Dublin, they won't be as busy as the RPSI trips.

There was at least two kids last year on the RPSI Dublin trips who traveled from Cork to visit Santa while another family were from Sligo; we clearly are doing something right with our man in Red ;)

Thanks for the responses. Our family aren't great travellers, so we'll be unlikely to travel up north for it.

If all else fails, we might just have to take the lad to a spot along the canal where he can get a good view of the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Anyone know how 461 is progressing? Getting near the time for the Specials and no announcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Anyone know how 461 is progressing? Getting near the time for the Specials and no announcements.

Last i heard she's ready to go but hasn't even begun her period of running in yet. Given we're heading towards November already i think it might be a stretch to have her up to speed for xmas.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Last i heard she's ready to go but hasn't even begun her period of running in yet. Given we're heading towards November already i think it might be a stretch to have her up to speed for xmas.

Just posted re same on another thread here :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help with this. The RPSI are sending me out a form to fill in so that we can be added to the cancellations list.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Minister For Hardship

A little bird told me that it is unlikely 461 will be able to do the Satan Specials, it may be diesel hauled.

461 will be able to do the Satan Specials

Satan Specials?! :eek: ;)

A little bird told me that it is unlikely 461 will be able to do the Satan Specials, it may be diesel hauled.

Always a little suspicious of first time posters on forums with "controversial" statements like that.

Hope my instinct is right.

461 was out on test run today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un2k4Cseavk

461 was out on test run today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un2k4Cseavk

Indeed. Prior to her hauling the Dutch van and 4 mkIIs from Whitehead to Belfast Central she did a round trip from Whitehead to Carrickfergus with the Dutch van. Probably her first time hauling mkIIs, on the mainline at any rate.

Advertisement