Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax credits after leaving the UK

Options
  • 04-08-2011 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was hoping you could help.

I lived and worked in the uk for 3 and a half years, and returned in April 2011, now working in Ireland.
    Am i entitled to tax credits ? I have been paying full PRSI tax since i began working in Ireland. My girlfriend has done the exact same as me, and she is not paying ANY PRSI since she returned (we both went to the UK together , and returned at the same time)

At one stage i was told by the revenue that i would not have to pay tax for a few months,(as the forms i sent in have not been processed yet) and that i will get it returned to me ...but i never did. Now the revenue are saying my tax is corect, and that i am not due tax back / or tax credits??:(

Does anyone know the facts?

thanks,
    Jo

has this happened to anyone else? 1 vote

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Poll?

closed. Irrelevant.

You are entitled to tax credits.

You can apply for residence from the date of arrival - S822 TCA

If your Irish income is > 75% of your annual income you get full credits or less than that the credits are apportioned based on Irish Income in relation to total income

S1032 TCA refers.

People answering the phone in revenue are generally first year clerical officers who know..................f all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

Thanks for that. Sorry - the poll was only an experiment...to see how it works!

so what is the S822 TCA, or S1032 TCA - laws, or forms?

How do i go about claiming for the tax credits so ? the people on the phone simply said im not entitled to anything - and that you cant transfer tax credits from uk to Ireland? So what do i do now?

Jo

You cannot transfer tax credits between jurisdictions.

go to www.revenue.ie and go the the Revenue locator, then enter your PPS and it will bring up the contact details for your local district.

Send them a letter saying that you wish to apply S822 of the Tax Consolidation Act 1997 (TCA) for tax residence from the date of arrival.

I have a feeling though that you have been granted tax credits and they have been applied correctly and you are not entitled to anything back so you may be getting confused.

Before you do the above request a P21 Balancing Statement and see if the PAYE credit and personal credit have been applied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

You cannot transfer tax credits between jurisdictions.

go to www.revenue.ie and go the the Revenue locator, then enter your PPS and it will bring up the contact details for your local district.

Send them a letter saying that you wish to apply S822 of the Tax Consolidation Act 1997 (TCA) for tax residence from the date of arrival.

I have a feeling though that you have been granted tax credits and they have been applied correctly and you are not entitled to anything back so you may be getting confused.

Before you do the above request a P21 Balancing Statement and see if the PAYE credit and personal credit have been applied

Thank you, i will do that. You may be right, but how come my girlfriend has done the exact same as me , over the past 5 years (ie: worked in Ireland, then in UK for 3 and 1/2 yrs, and now back in ireland again), and she is not paying any PRSI tax at all since we came home in april? Only for that i would not be questioning it so much!:confused:

jocotty wrote: »
    Thank you, i will do that. You may be right, but how come my girlfriend has done the exact same as me , over the past 5 years (ie: worked in Ireland, then in UK for 3 and 1/2 yrs, and now back in ireland again), and she is not paying any PRSI tax at all since we came home in april? Only for that i would not be questioning it so much!:confused:

I don't have an explanation for that- you'll have to take it up with her employer.

I can't think of any logical reason whey she would not be paying PRSI unless she has a certificate of coverage from the UK to show that she is contributing to a social security system over there which is unlikely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement