Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Theory test CD-Rom

Options
  • 04-08-2011 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

Our son wants to do the Driver Theory Test and was going to buy the CD of the test was wondering since he only has a Netbook (no CD/DVD drive) is there a way of copying from a Laptop to his external hard drive
    the files over for him to learn from it from there? Can it be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You can get a USB CD-Drive that he can use to run the disk. Really a must: One of these is a replacement for every CD/DVD drive in all of my computers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

use something like isobuster to dump the cd to an iso file

then use microsoft virtual cd or similar program to view the file as if it was a cd

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/b/6/7b6abd84-7841-4978-96f5-bd58df02efa2/winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel_21.exe

virtual cd might also grab the iso too

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^^^ If you want to get technical... It can take a couple hours of labor if you've never done it before but if you can manage it more power to you.

I like to use a progam called MagicDisc to mount such things. Havent had to do so in years though, not since I gave up pirating so many video games :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Overheal wrote: »
    ^^^ If you want to get technical... It can take a couple hours of labor if you've never done it before but if you can manage it more power to you.

I like to use a progam called MagicDisc to mount such things. Havent had to do so in years though, not since I gave up pirating so many video games :D

not that technical,

pop the CD in the drive
    isobuster , just choose the option for free functionality only , and hit the button

you will of course need a 1GB flash disk to copy the ISO file (or dropbox or whatever - sharing files is very very messy to do right)

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

I'm pretty sure that software has a feature which detects if it's running from a virtual drive and refuses to run.

The way around it was to create a virtual IDE drive with Daemon Tools Pro, but I've no idea if that still works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If the disc is copy protected emulation won't work, unless there is a no cd crack or similar out there which cannot be disccussed here.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 46 O1

maki wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that software has a feature which detects if it's running from a virtual drive and refuses to run.

Yes it does.

Sorry to exhume this old thread but I just bought this expensive CD for 22 Euro and it's a bit annoying that I can't just pop it onto a USB stick and take it around with me.
    You need to have the CD with you at all times even after installing the product which is a bit much.

I've already paid through the nose for something that costs a few cent to press and now I'm still paying.

If the price was more reasonable...or if the book and cd came together (logic!) I would have less of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

not that technical,

pop the CD in the drive
    isobuster , just choose the option for free functionality only , and hit the button

you will of course need a 1GB flash disk to copy the ISO file (or dropbox or whatever - sharing files is very very messy to do right)

Normally that would work but they have more copy protection on the drivers ed CD than any other product I have ever came across.

It actually detects Daemontools and other emulators in memory and when you open it you get a warning saying 'CD emulator detected, this file must be run from the CD' or something to that effect and it shuts down. I know, I tried this sure!

It actually checks to make sure the source media it is reading from is an actual CD/DVD drive and if it is not, it throws an error and shuts down.

Not a windows problem

The rights holders are being restrictive.

send the producers / RSA a nice email saying that you have a netbook / scratched CD and asking what they suggest bearing in mind that their mandate is road safety and spreading knowledge rather than generating a profit

in Oz the quiz is freely available online
    http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/21388.asp

and don't get me started on the availability of SafePass material :mad:

again it's not a windows problem

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

<snip>

i have done so in the past using latest, moneymaking theory test cd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Won't help with the cd problem but someone posted this on the learning to drive forum when I was doing my test and it came in very handy.

<snipped for copyright reasons>
    Contains all questions and answers from the Driver Theory Test Book/Disk for the CAR DRIVING THEORY TEST ONLY

Like I said it's not a windows issue

If people have a problem with restrictions then talk to the rights holders

thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement