Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why local metal bands suck

Options
  • 04-08-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

please someone explain this to me? thanking you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

dont-feed-the-troll.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Where is local...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Keybot wrote: »

cause theyve to play for you

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Keybot

yo steve im talking like limerick area like bands that play at the seige, seige being the biggest metal event round town and **** me some of those bands are ****ing dire i wont mention any names.

Galway K9 your theory is flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

yo steve im talking like limerick area like bands that play at the seige, seige being the biggest metal event round town and **** me some of those bands are ****ing dire i wont mention any names.

Actually I have to agree with you with regards to the Siege Of Limerick gigs. For every decent band that has played at Siege in recent years there have been 10 shyte bands who are very bad rip offs of cover bands. I also think that some of the organisers have no idea what most of the bands sound like beforehand and just lump them all in together.

I know of a few very good musicians and bands in the Limerick area who don't even try to get involved with Siege due to a perceived mentality that if you don't sound like a Scandavian growl band then you are not metal.

But the other side of it is that Limerick and the surrounding areas are hardly areas with big populations and as such have even smaller metal playing populations, so a very small talent pool is there to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think it's quite simple....the great bands do not model themselves off other metal bands...****e bands do and then become a parody of the bands they are "influenced by"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Ah, there are some quality bands out there if you are willing to put in the effort of actually going out and finding them. Sure your going to come across some shite bands, but getting passed them there are some worthy bands out there. You just have to put in the effort and don't jump to conclusions about the local scene just because you have seen some crap bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I would note that if you are serious about this topic your initial post was not the way to go about it... Give a bit of detail.

Gotta agree with Kess but the way it is in general there are always going to be more crap bands than good bands. I'm sure if you gave some of those bands a chance they may surprise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Keybot

Knifey Spoony, iv put in a fair bit of effort looking for good bands and i must say the outcome was poor, so i haven't been jumping to any 'conclusions' but seeing as you brought it up i must interject and ask you is it not the bands job to promote themselves and find me?

Stevie the drummer mc drummerson, i am deadly serious about this topic and though you may not agree with my initial method it'll get the job done all the same.

Why is everyone assuming i havent given any bands a chance?had that been the case i wouldnt have started this thread.One thing i have observed is that no one seems to care that the bands are **** (something which i just cant seem to understand) so many time iv heard the 'good jobs lads nice show tonight' followed with the bitchin, slagging, mocking whatever behide their back.Maybe if ppl werent so twoface and said it straight out it'd give more motivation for bands to up their game?

sorry if my posts seem all over the place communication never was my strong point......

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

edit - nah, not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Knifey Spoony, iv put in a fair bit of effort looking for good bands and i must say the outcome was poor, so i haven't been jumping to any 'conclusions' but seeing as you brought it up i must interject and ask you is it not the bands job to promote themselves and find me?

Fair enough if you have put in the effort, maybe local metal just isn't for you then, but I still maintain that there are good bands out there. But to really generalize the local scene as poor is just a bit unfair.

Yes it is the band's job to promote themselves, but really, given that the scene is so small here, their promotion isn't going to be exactly widespread. As much as I hate to say it, Boards isn't the best palce for loacl metal. Metal Ireland have a great gigs section, which is where I found must of the local bands that I'm into.
    Why is everyone assuming i havent given any bands a chance?had that been the case i wouldnt have started this thread.

Maybe this is because you didn't give any information or aurgument in your original post? Just shot in saying the scene sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

Wanna name some of these **** bands please? Don't hold back, I actually want to know your opinion.

I'm one of the organisers of the aformentioned Siege festival and while every band mightn't be to your taste I'd like to think that, especially with the last one in April, the quality of bands was very high. Over the last 3 years I've been to more than 450 gigs as a gig goer and working as a sound engineer I've seen some great and some **** bands, so I'd like to consider myself reasonably informed in this area.

Also rather than just "lump a load of bands together" we put months of work into the organisation and planning, including choosing the bill. I've seen pretty much all the bands that play the Siege beforehand either in Limerick or travelling to gigs outside to check them out. People should be aware that it's a metal fest so there's gonna be an assortment of genres and we do our best to break the day up so there's not similar bands after each other, or on at the same time on both stages.

Fair enough if you have put in the effort, maybe local metal just isn't for you then, but I still maintain that there are good bands out there. But to really generalize the local scene as poor is just a bit unfair.Yes it is the band's job to promote themselves, but really, given that the scene is so small here, their promotion isn't going to be exactly widespread. As much as I hate to say it, Boards isn't the best palce for loacl metal. Metal Ireland have a great gigs section, which is where I found must of the local bands that I'm into.

Maybe this is because you didn't give any information or aurgument in your original post? Just shot in saying the scene sucks.

In fairness to Keybot, I think he is commenting on his local scene (Limerick) and the bands he gets to see there.

In his defence the Limerick metal scene is not a patch on what it was years ago. I can remember, going back a fair few years, when I used to come over to Limerick in the summer when I was a teenager and the Savoy used to do free gigs every Saturday at Three in the afternoon.

You went in and four or five bands would play each Saturday. I saw the likes of Kerbdog, Therapy? (pre Troublegum), as well as heavier more extreme bands and even the likes of the Cranberries cut their teeth at those gigs. Plus the cover bands that played at these free gigs were expected to play to a similar standard as the up and coming bands so everybody there seemed to raise their game.

There were also more metal/alternative pubs and clubs in Limerick back then than there is now.

Now that is not to say that there are no decent bands at all in Limerick, but I do think there are less now than there were ten years ago and certainly 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

Kess73 wrote: »

I know of a few very good musicians and bands in the Limerick area who don't even try to get involved with Siege due to a perceived mentality that if you don't sound like a Scandavian growl band then you are not metal.

Limericks a small enough place, I'd be very surprised if there was active, gigging metal bands that I'm unaware of. If you're on about the likes of Sinister Divide and some of the underage bands there's a reason they haven't been asked to play and aren't involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

My local band is Dead Label and they are class.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

I live in Dublin, and my local bands ate brilliant.

if6was9 wrote: »
    Limericks a small enough place, I'd be very surprised if there was active, gigging metal bands that I'm unaware of. If you're on about the likes of Sinister Divide and some of the underage bands there's a reason they haven't been asked to play and aren't involved.

No defo not underage as many of the guys I know are in the mid 20's to mid30's range.

Actually Sinister Divide were one of the other bands I was going to ask about:D, but your post suggests there may be a reason best left off the open forum as to why they are left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If you want a good metal gig near you, come to Thurles some time. Myself and 2 friends organise a metal night every so often where we have the likes of iBurn, Anger Fuels Motion. They're both from Thurles and they sir, do NOT suck!

We hope to have McGalligog, Dead Label, Spittin' Bones and Twisted Wrath down for the next gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Why local metal bands suck?

The scene never changes that's why. Styles do, scenes don't. I dropped out of scene politics many years ago and I'm glad I did, because it's a loaded topic. First of all we're Irish with an unhealthy attitude to success anyway, a generalisation but any other aul wans here will identify with the sentiment. There have been many ****en excellent bands in this country that have fallen by the wayside as the years progressed. Second of all we're Irish with an unhealthy attitude of propping up our friends' bands with an amazing lack of constructive criticism, another generalisation and again any aul wans will recognise this as true. These two points combine to form a pretty shaky foundation for a scene.

So a few guys get together and form a band. They want to get out there and play a gig, and there are people out there who care enough and work hard enough to provide a forum for bands to get out there and get heard. Their mates are looking forward to it and they've got a few tunes down, so off they go, excited and happy to be heard, they may not be the tightest band with the best songs but **** it, they have a time, and it's the first step on the ladder for them. My second point is the salient one - their mates loved it, tell them so, band is pleased, playing again next week, they just want to play music. A lot of bands don't evolve beyond this, aul wans, we know this to be true. Go to a gig with four or five bands playing, two might have their **** together ('headliners' if you will), the other two or three don't, you're at the gig thinking 'Jesus this is awful' and there ya go - the local scene sucks, especially if ya don't dig the bands who are actually working their ass off.

I could ramble off topic all day. Instead I'll correct myself, my answer to the question is wrong anyway.

YOUR LOCAL SCENE SUCKS BECAUSE YOU PERCEIVE FAULTS IN IT BUT WON'T DO ANYTHING TO CHANGE IT.

Most bands will hate you for it, but constructive criticism can make a dent in attitudes. I've seen it work and was hated for it but **** it, years ago when I had the chance to make a difference, i tried at least. Far too easy just to grumble about it, but it's just as easy to get involved on some level to improve your scene and ultimately more rewarding. Sure, the generalisations will creep back in again but at least you weren't just bitching about it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭glord

These fellas i know well.very talented.based in mullingar.seriously ,have a listen
    http://www.myspace.com/atheosireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

So in conclusion, the metal scene in Limerick sucks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I have been listening to Shardborne who are from Limerick lately ,deadly band, worth checking out if you are into progessive.

http://www.myspace.com/shardborne

Viadah made a great post which sums the up local scene mentality. Bands all have to start somewhere and without an audience and their reactions they are not going to improve.

Now for a senseless plug for one of my local bands who I think are fantastic, then again many others probably wont. Peoples tastes differ, rock/metal has such a wide range of genres. life would be boring if we all liked the same things
    http://www.reverbnation.com/luminousblack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

if6was9 wrote: »

I'm not familiar with Sinister Divide, they don't look underage in their photos. What's the reason they can't play?

Edit Just listened to "Us and the stars" It's the Enter Shikari song "Anything can happen in the next half hour" with the lyrics changed, is it supposed to be that?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Edit Just listened to "Us and the stars" It's the Enter Shikari song "Anything can happen in the next half hour" with the lyrics changed, is it supposed to be that?

By jaysus you're right :eek:
    It's not just "similar", it's practically identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

You're just here to piss people off, right?

Do you play in a band? Are you bitter that you aren't playing the Siege? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Valaquenta

1. What bands are you referring to?
    2. Is your experience as that of a fan or from playing in Limerick?
    3. When and how frequently would you have gone to gigs?

In none of your posts have you put forward any credible reason for your point of view but if you could answer those questions, I'm sure we'd get an understanding of your viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Valaquenta

Kess73 wrote: »
    In fairness to Keybot, I think he is commenting on his local scene (Limerick) and the bands he gets to see there.

In his defence the Limerick metal scene is not a patch on what it was years ago. I can remember, going back a fair few years, when I used to come over to Limerick in the summer when I was a teenager and the Savoy used to do free gigs every Saturday at Three in the afternoon.

You went in and four or five bands would play each Saturday. I saw the likes of Kerbdog, Therapy? (pre Troublegum), as well as heavier more extreme bands and even the likes of the Cranberries cut their teeth at those gigs. Plus the cover bands that played at these free gigs were expected to play to a similar standard as the up and coming bands so everybody there seemed to raise their game.

There were also more metal/alternative pubs and clubs in Limerick back then than there is now.

Now that is not to say that there are no decent bands at all in Limerick, but I do think there are less now than there were ten years ago and certainly 20 years ago.

I remember those gigs too, but metal was never a priority in Limerick even then. Even the bands you quote aren't metal except for these "extreme bands." I don't think that the quality of metal in Limerick has been higher at one point in time as it is now. I've seen great metal acts (and let's focus on the local talent, cos that's Keybot's point) over the years but there's never been more than 2 or 3 max going at any one time, at least not as far as I'm aware but would like to be corrected if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Of all of the bands who are listed for the Siege this year, only two I can't stand, and I reckon a lot would agree with me on that one. That's two out of 25.

Now, fair enough, musical opinions are subjective, but all of the bands on the bill this time round are from many different genres - it's even more diverse than last time.

I might not usually listen to the styles of most of the bands on the bill; I can appreciate their style, but at every Siege so far, there's a decent crowd intently watching each band; I can accept that people like the different genres.

It seems to me that you can't appreciate the different styles, therefore you should go somewhere else to listen to your melodicnecrodeathprogressivedjentwankcore metal. Every other genre is catered for and the other 500+ people who attend the Siege are happy.
    So in conclusion, the metal scene in Limerick sucks?

In conclusion, the metal scene here is deadly.

Two Sieges a year is a pretty good indication of that. October is giving us Wolves In The Throne Room, the Vile Regression EP launch, a Siege, and probably a couple more random gigs. It's alive because of Die-Hards who appreciate any sub-genre. It's merely marred by people who compare our relatively tight-knit, small scene, to places like Dublin and Belfast, who have an enormous population in comparison.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Because they all sound a like?but there's always a diamond in ruff,a band that stands out :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement