Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tús Community Work Placement Initiative

Options
  • 04-08-2011 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask your advice on this initiative.

I received a letter from my local social welfare office asking me to agree to 19.5 hours community work placement scheme.

Did anyone here received any decent work placement under this scheme?

And did anyone was refused to go on this scheme? What happened then?

Just don't know what to reply to them, really need your advice on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

It seems to me that the government want to get people off the dole to make the numbers look good. Even when people are on these schemes, they are still technically on the dole.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

According to some of the info on TUS I have seen on the internet, they are supposed to offer positions that match your skillset.

The sponsor is also supposed to offer meaningful and useful opportunities on the scheme. They are to be non profit organisations as well.

In my experience neither of these things happen. Cutting grass, and ditches offers nothing to the community. Property maintainence schemes for the elderly would be a good scheme. But work cannot be offered that takes away from local employment.

So I dont know what else would be left after a bit of painting in the community hall, cutting grass in the square ect.

Along with the recent training allowance cuts announced in the budget, can these schemes really offer anything.

kadman

Advertisement