Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel Galway

Options
  • 04-08-2011 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a good spot to catch mackerel from the shore in Galway/Barna/Spiddal area? What would you recommend as bait/lure?

Is the best time to catch mackerel on or after the high tide?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Spent the whole weekend spinning for mackrel along the coast of salt hill and Galway city. I found the best place was off the harbours but then again the Mackrell where not in the weekend.

The bays seem to be extreamly weedy and rocky, try fishing as the tide comes in untill the tide turns, look for the sea gulls attacking the sprat that will tell you were the markel will be.

Hope you have better look then i did the weekend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

What lure did you use for spinning?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Suitusir

Friend of mine caught eight last night in Salthill

Birroc wrote: »
    Anyone know a good spot to catch mackerel from the shore in Galway/Barna/Spiddal area? What would you recommend as bait/lure?

Is the best time to catch mackerel on or after the high tide?

Best time to catch mackerel is on a high tide in the evening,even a hour or two before or after,dont know much about spiddal or barna,but they are usually plentiful around Salthill in September and October,saw a few shoals last night on the beach directly across from leisureland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

I was using German sprat as a weight on some hoki feathers and changed from sprat to other silver sinners but mainly the sprats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

You'd need a trace with as many hooks as possible, once they come in they might not be in for another few hours, they might be back in minutes later but when they do come in you'll usually fill most hooks.

Any sign of the mackerel in Salthill this week?,thinking of going fishing tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭mikeyod123

Suitusir wrote: »
    Any sign of the mackerel in Salthill this week?,thinking of going fishing tomorrow.

i havnt been down since sunday but last week i caught 100 over thur fri and sat but the on sun i only got 6 wheather they are back in or not i dont know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

I enjoy fishing off Nimmo's Pier in the Claddagh, but is there a chance I'll catch anything else besides mackerel? Do Pollock come in that far?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

got 30 mackerel and 8 pollack in furbo last nite at low tide best pollack 5lbs

• Advertisement

anyone know if theres still any been caught around salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Plenty being caught at the moment in Salthill. Got about 14 this evening in about 30 mins, wasn't fishing too hard and people were hauling them in around me.

Ones I caught were stuffed with sprat and there are loads of sprat washed up on the shore so they should be around for a bit yet.

Caribs wrote: »
    Plenty being caught at the moment in Salthill. Got about 14 this evening in about 30 mins, wasn't fishing too hard and people were hauling them in around me.

Ones I caught were stuffed with sprat and there are loads of sprat washed up on the shore so they should be around for a bit yet.

was down there 2day aswell for the first time in a 3 weeks or so and i got 40 in about an hour. plenty being caught but alot of small ones too. was still great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Think the tide will be full in around 6-ish this evening so catch them on the rising tide, seems to be most effective.

Even though it's like shooting fish in a barrel it's great fun and great eating too.

Tried a few slices of them raw last night with some soy sauce - really tasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Anyone catching decent mackerel around Barna/Spiddal these days?

Advertisement