Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to study in Germany...but I don't know where to begin/to look/etc...

Options
  • 03-08-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi everyone,

In the past few years, I have wanted to study in Germany badly. The thing is, I have no idea where to begin or who to ask questions about it. I have read up on it but I don't know how to "get my foot in the door" if you get me?

I'm currently going into my second year of college here in Dublin and I'm miserable. I really need this change. I want to start up a new post-grad there but from what I have read, there aren't many english speaking college courses there so a year studying the language is something I'm weighing up. I think I just need a little guidance.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I need this to happen within the next year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Liona

Hey Sonia

I am from germany starting to study in ireland this year ;-)
    maybe i can help you out.
    So what do you want to study? do you want to add on the master to your current degree? do you only want to go for a year or a semester or do the full degree in germany?

hope i ll be able to help you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sonia989

Thank you both for your replies.

Hey Liona!

YES! Your help is very much needed. I would love to study film directing as my first choice. I am also interested in communications, journalism and media also. At this moment, I am going into my second year in September, studying for my bachelor in Film and Literature in Dublin.

I read that there aren't many english courses in Germany for what I want to study so I don't know if I should go over to study the German language for a year or not (I already speak conversational German but I want to become fluent) What are your thoughts?

Also if you want to ask me about what you'd like to do here in Ireland, feel free to.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Armag3ddon

Heya,

I don't know if this still needed but I'm a German student too, currently doing Erasmus here in Dublin.
    If you haven't decided yet: do a German course. German is the usual language for all studies in Germany ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jennifer Parker

In case you still consider to study in Germany
    this might be helpful for a start: http://studieren.de/study-in-germany.0.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Renatte

I also studied in Germany, at the Ulm University. I had a truly wonderful experience and will remember my time there forever. I really miss Germany.

A few tips from me to anyone who wants to study in Germany:

1. Learn the German language! You can't imagine how easier your life will be.
    2. Be open to other people and start making friends. There are many people just like you and they won't hesitate to socialize.
    3. Buy used books instead of new ones. There are many stores where you can buy used books or you can find them online. Maybe consider a kindle or an ipad to store ebooks.
    4. Get insured with a good plan! Don't let this one pass your mind easily as you'll regret it with your life. There are many cases where people who don't have good insurance plans get in trouble and have to pay extreme amounts of money for simple medical treatments. I'd recommend you take a look at this one which is for students: http://www.mawista.com/krankenversicherung-fuer-auslaender/krankenversicherung-fuer-studenten/
    5. Don't forget to enjoy your time in Germany as much as you can, these years will get stuck in your memory forever.
    6. Keep contacts with your friends, especially the ones in your home country.
    7. Get drunk at BeerFest :) (this was on my bucket list, but I recommend it)

That's pretty much it! :)

Also to anyone who is wondering why studying in Germany is worth it check this picture: http://www.studying-in-germany.org/10-reasons-to-study-in-germany-infographic/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks for the helpful post Renatte. I'm going to close this thread as it's a couple of years old now. The information will remain for anyone considering studying in Germany.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement